Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Waverly Scioto Motel  30 Apr 2010

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Waverly Ohio Shell Station and Kaiser Frazer dealership around 1954.

This in now an empty lot next to the NAPPA building

Chuck Myers photo collection

Waverly Ohio Shell Station and Kaiser Frazer dealership around 1954

Chuck Myers photo collection

Noels Pee Pee Gas 18 Feb 1995 

This is Clyde's Restaurant building 16 August 2009 at 227 W. Emmitt Avenue

photo by Tyrone Hemry 

This building first was The Feedbox and Bus Station in the early 1950s. Customers ate in their cars were served by Car Hops. Later speakers were added so customers could call in there orders.   Bands such as Bill Monroe and Flatt and Scruggs entertained from the flat roof top. The A&W followed, then Giovanni's and Carlenes Steak house and is now the Moose Lodge #2263 at 303 W. Emmitt Ave.

Clyde's Restaurant 1953

Ed Fryling came to Waverly during the Atomic Boom in the 1950s from PA and specifically selected Waverly for the business opportunity he saw during the Atomic Boom. He offered houses for sale that he owned on Land Contract at a low down payment. Note building on right was last used by McConkeys and at one time was a garage operated by Paul Myers. Paul sold Wiles Jeeps and
Kaiser cars. Picture was dated October 1967. The girls in the picture waiting on the school bus are Debbie Fryling Cohagen, next to the  road, and her sister Judy Fryling 

Steve Woods says the station was his dad's back in 1946/47, matter of fact, that's him standing there. He also says it was a Certified station when he was a kid and they sold the pink and yellow chicks at Easter. Dad sold the station, and always regretted it, shortly before they rerouted the main highway down that way in 1954. This stands where Federici's strip mall sits, just east of the entrance to Green Acres. They lived across the street, right next to the old underpass on 23.Rt. Rt.23 the main highway at that time went down Second street past the old tollgate. 

219 West Emmitt Avenue, former Lockoff's Department store location, then followed by the welfare office.  At the time of this picture the Waverly News Watchman was located in the left side of this building.

photo by Tyrone Hmery March 2009

photo by Tyrone Hemry April 2012

West Emmitt Avenue Sibole's restaurant south side

Ohio and Erie Canal lock regents.  See more on the canal: http://waverlyinfo.net/ohio---erie-canal-north-of-waverly.html

Veterans Park

photo by Tyrone Hemry November 11,2011

In the 1940-50's there was a family owned diner called Sunshine Inn located behind present day Diner 23. It was ran by Jane and Bert Lawson and a Mary Sibole was also part of the business.  Next door was a tie yard where according to a Jim Henry article a Carrie Mustard and his sons loaded crossties by hand for five cents a tie. Harry Claytor built this building. Ginny Deacon operated the garage and filling station some time after Dutch Allen died.

Cardo's Pizza at 298 West Emmitt Avenue

photo by Tyrone Hemry August 2012

On the right where you see the Sunoco gas pumps is where the present Dinner 23 sets

Luckoff's Department Store 1953

Luckoff's Department store with the part on the right now used by NAPA auto parts store

Luckoff's with car in the parking lot.  Note store in the back ground is now a car dealer ship.

Vallery's Garage with new tractor inventory 

Valley's Ford in the 1950's

1950's Silver Diner was located across from Vallery Ford. Note Greenbaum building on the right in the background.  The diner was later moved to the present location of Barch Cycle. The Man in the photo is Mac McCain, owner of the diner, and his husky

Rt. 23 & 104 intersection. Note the building on the right is now the Dairy Queen and the building to the left of it is now Waverly Tire. When this building was built it was Vass Pontiac which opened in October 1954. The Waverly Drive-in Theatre opened up just south of here on Rt. 104. Adena Clinic is at the north end of this movie lot. This was the second drive in theatre to open up in Waverly, the Atomic Drive-in being the first located on Old Rt. 23 (now Howard Road) and then the last to go. A third drive-in theater was also opened up between Dawson's Trailer Park and Pay and Save Lumber (now Carter Lumber) on the old Rt. 23 (Mound-Wakefield Road) during the atomic boom of the 50s. 

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

In the 1970's this was KFC and was used by Lloyds Pizzeria before Lloyds moved across the street.  It is now a donut shop.

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Bob Vass Pontiac, 11603 West Emmitt Ave.  Now Waverly Tire

8 October 1954 The News Watchman

Waverly Tire picture probably some time in the 1980's 

photo by Tyrone Hemry February 2008

Dinner 23 at 300 West Emmitt Avenue 

Silver Diner was located in what is now Vallery Ford's used car lot

1950's Silver Diner in Waverly, Ohio 

West Emmitt Avenue, Waverly, Ohio