Toll Keepers house and Warehouse at High & Emmitt Street torn down in 1978. This is now the drive through for U S Bank.
Canal lock 44 Waverly just south of Crooked Creek viewed from the south with Valley Cold Storage and Lock Tender's house on the right
Ohio & Erie canal Lock 44 and at Waverly
Post card labeled Emmitt block. Showing what is now called Greenbaum building. At the time this was the intersection of Water Street (now Emmitt Ave.) and Market Street. The little shed at the end was a shoe repair shop.
Looking South with Water Street on left, what is now West Emmitt Ave (Rt. 23), from (John Emmitt's Store) Greenbaum building estimated date is 1890. Note the building saying Philips is the present day site of the library.
Kilgor Bridge over the Ohio & Erie Canal at what is now Cherry Street crossing the canal.
Waverly Monster balloon
Fred Shoemaker find
Hotel -RR Depot Omni Bus along Canal at Waverly
Map of part of downtown Waverly in 1897. Keep in mind that what is Emmitt Ave. Rt. 23 now was Water Street on this map. Note Canal along what is now Emmitt Ave.
Ohio & Erie Canal With a boy & 2 girls in canoeing in Waverly about where the present day Subway is located. In back ground is Gehres Brothers Lumber Mill.
Picture courtesy Gary Cooper from the Roger Hicks Collection
Ohio & Erie Drawing of a Canal Boat
Jim Henry drew this scene from a post card and shows the old Canal Park as seen from Market Street. The bridge, an iron type, was on what is know as High St. There was quite a slope on this hill from the bridge down to Water St. (now Emmitt Ave.). It had a pedestrian walkway on the south side of it. On the north side of the bridge was the Lew Stahler Hardware Co. Next building south was the collector's office. In the toll house was a big pulley wheel used to lift items out of the boats. Later Stahler used the toll house to store their extra buggies and farm equipment. Later Don's Furniture was in the building (not to be confused to Don's Furniture on North Street where it was later located.) This building was torn down in the early 1970s. The site is now the drive through for the US Bank. Next lot south was later to be built on as Kroger's. When Kroger's moved out the building it was remodeled to become Waverly State Bank and has since gone through several bank names and is now US Bank.
Photo showing the balloon beside the canal in Waverly,
Mark Howell collection
A photo dated 1906 showing the state dredge which is burned in the state's canal basin.
1892 Canal map of Waverly, Ohio
Pike Co map showing the Ohio & Erie canal
Ice skating at Waverly on the Ohio & Erie Canal was a favorite past time. C. 1900
Dave Meyer collection
Intersection of Water Street (Rt. 23) and (Emmitt Street) Market Streets Waverly in July 1891. On the right is the James Emmitt Store.
Canal in Waverly along Water Street (Emmitt Ave.) as seen from Market Street looking North. Canal Warehouse on left near High Street's Smith Bridge and Vallery Livery Stable on Right. Photo abt 1906
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
The breakdown occurred two blocks below Market Street in Waverly, Ohio. It is the aquaduct which collapsed during the 1913 flood. The view is looking southeast at the towpath bridge which remains standing
Waverly 1859 by R. H. Sheppard looking north
Joe Geuett and His Pyrotechnics We have examined the fire works pieces ordered by Joe Genett for the evening of the Forth and unhesitatingly pronounce them first class in all respects. There will be rockets with parachutes, Roman candles with 15 to 20 balls, circular and revolving pieces of all descriptions, dynamite balls to be shot from a mortar, and an endless variety of smaller pieces that we neither know the name of nor can describe. In addition there are three large pieces ordered from New York where they were specially manufactured for the occasion. They are very large and will no doubt be much more attractive than anything ever before seen in Waverly. The display will take place on the level in front of the Emmitt House next to canal. It will be a grand one. 1 July 1890 Waverly Courier
THE AQUEDUCT BREAKS Just after the excitement of the Lancaster boys, Monday, about half-past 2 o'clock, the aqueduct across Crooked creek gave way. The structure was an old affair but it had been patched to be good for several years yet. But all at once there was a creaking and wrecking of timber, a splash and gurgling roll of waters and the old thing was gone up. The waters now take their course down Crooked creek and the "to there end" of the canal is played out--at least until there is a new structure built. 27 June 1884 The Republican
Emmitt, Gilbert and Bateman were contractors for the Pike County portion of the Canal. It was stipulated that the canal be 40 feet wide with banks sloping 45 degrees on both sides, depth to be 4 feet bordered by tow paths of 8 foot clearance. The first canal boat to arrive in Waverly was September 6, 1832. James Emmitt decided he wanted to own the boat so he arranged a partnership with, an elderly man who used to wagon with Emmitt, they purchased the boat that day for $600 and added a brass bell to the deck. Most pictures courtesy of Jim Henry On back of picture: "Covered Bridge on Barger farm, St. Rt. 335 2 1/2 mi. N. E. Waverly, Ohio This Pike County #2 span is a reminder of Ohio Erie Canal days, when used as a convenience for farmers to unload grains via trap door in the floor of the bridge into the boats in the Canal under the bridge. Likely built 1830-32 when the canal was completed. Only remaining one in Pike County"
The 28 x 10 foot replica canal boat, named ARC, is located in the old canal bed by Bristol Village. Students from the Pike County CTC constructed the boat to approximately one-quarter size
of an actual canal vessel. The boat is the crown jewel of the newly-constructed Ohio and Erie Canal Historic Trail. A ramp is to be built so that visitors can step aboard the boat and inside the cabin.
photo by Tyrone Hemry 1Dec 2008
Erie canal lock #44 remnant at Waverly July 10, 2009
photo by Tyrone Hemry
Fishing at Ohio & Erie Canal Lock # 44. Note Boat at the lock.
Ohio & Erie canal Bridge and Aquaeduck over Crooked Creek. In the foreground, the first structure spanning is the bridge for pedestrians and wagons, and the second [dripping] structure behind the bridge is the aqueduct which conveys the canal over the creek.
Ohio & Erie Aqueduct over Crooked Creek during winter, Waverly looking northwest 1908
Ohio & Erie Aqueduct over Crooked Creek during flood, Waverly. I belive this is looking southeast.
Mural at the Waverly Post Office after restoration
Mural by Roy Best with James Emmitt on far left watching a packet drift past the Greenbaum building in Waverly
Waverly, Ohio 1909 after fire. Canal is on the right of the Buildings