Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Former Omega school now being used as a residence

photo by Tyrone Hemry 14 Nov 2015

The old school at Omega, Ohio in the late 1920s. L to R Helen Franklin, Marie Scott,and Clara Whaley

Corwin school on Rt. 335 going east out of Waverly

photo by Tyrone Hemry March 2015

Please email pictures, additions, comments or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

OMEGA'S FORGOTTEN SCHOOLS 

Around Omega, the Pancake School was built on the Pancake/Schooler Farm in the Scioto River Bottoms. Between the railroad track and the canal, it bordered with the Clough Farm and was just behind the Sam Jones place. Elizabeth and Forrest Hatfield and Flawrence Miller were three of many students who went to school there. Another school house was located at the bottom of Ray's Hill, the last hill before you go toward Omega on State Route 335. Marty Harris and his wife live close by the former site now. Built in 1903, the former Grange Hall in Omega was the Jackson Township School, which was attended by several different classes. Cliff and Jim Scott and Zelma Blazer, mother of Bill Gildow, and Marvine and Pauline Balzer, Zelma's sisters and Bill's aunt, were pupils there. Corwine School, still standing and now a residence, is situated on State Route 335 just past the Paridon Place. The late Lloyd Stulley, father of Betty Gildow, was a student. Foster's School was just across the river and around the curve on the left of State Route 335. One pupil was M. O. Scott, father of Vince Scott, and Doc Scott, father of Jean Scott Schmitt and Jim Scott. Vince Scott's grandfather hauled coal for the school and the "old" Jack Scott built the fires. Teachers were Eisenhart, Charlotte Hibbens, Lucy Miller and the sister of the late John Voelker. The former Blazer's Grocery building in Omega was once a school, but was not located where the grocery store was in later years. The school site, farther up Railroad Street about four houses, was moved when the railroad was built. Later becoming a residence, Wesley Hays was the first owner. In later years it served as a grocery store. In notes of the late Pauline Blazer, she wrote that the first Omega School, name unknown, was located on the Scioto River Bank. Another school, name unknown, was constructed at the intersection of Wilson Run Road and Back Hollow Road. Mrs. Scott, mother of Jean Scott Schmitt and Jim Scott, taught at the Erich School, built on the Alma Omega Road just before Back Hollow Road. This school building burned down. Many students attended the East Jackson School, which was located on State Route 335 East of Omega. Hay Hollow School, located on Hay Hollow Road, is still standing today. M. O. Scott, father of Vince Scott, began his teaching career there. Elsie Scott, mother of Vince Scott, taught at the Hixon Run School, built on Hixon Run Road. Today the former Carrs Run School, where Lee Snyder taught, is the community center and fire house on Carrs Run Road.

Many thanks to Vincent and Betty Scott, Hazel Sharp, Jim Scott, Jean Scott Schmitt, Ruth Stulley, Bill & Betty Gildow for providing the information for this articles.

Information from
2004 Pike County Progress Edition
(Pike County: 200 years in the making)
Pike County News Watchman

Jackson Township School Program May 1951 

10 May 1951 The Republican Herald

The Blazer's Grocery Building in Omega, now gone-- torn down after a fire destroyed much of it, was once a school, but was not located where the grocery store was in later years. The school site was farther up Railroad Street about four houses and was moved when the railroad was built. Later becoming a residence, Wesley Hays was the first owner. In later years it served as a grocery store.

Remnant found at the site of the Foster school along 335 a little east of the intersection with Straight Creek.

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Former schools as listed in "History of Lower Scioto Valley Ohio"

  1. Subdistrict No. 1 - Pancake School - Teacher W. A. Janes; scholars - 33; Subdistrict No. 2 - Sharonville (now Omega) - Teachers J. R. Heath and Miss Hutt; scholars - 75; Subdistrict No. 3 - Corwine - Teacher Miss Jennie E. Jones; scholars - 32 ; Subdistrict No. 4 (colored) - Johnson - Teacher J. D. Walker; scholars - 35; Subdistrict No. 5 Foster School - Teacher Loremza Brewer; scholars - 27; Subdistrict No. 6 - Hickson School - Teacher Mr. Freeman; scholars - 42; Subdistrict (colored) - Vier's School - Teacher Mr. Roberts; scholars - 60; Subdistrict No. 9 (colored) - Big Run School - Teacher M. B. Smith; scholars - 57; Subdistrict No. 10 Holmes School; scholars - 65; Subdistrict No. 11 - Mt. Sinai School - Teacher Samuel Walker; scholars - 26; Subdistrict No. 12 Vonschriltz School; scholars -78; Subdistrict No. 13 - Erich School - Teacher E. E. Marshall; scholars - 27: Subdistrict No. 14 - Hay Hollow School - Teacher O. Hazelbaker; scholars - 49; Subdistrict No. 15 - Reisinger School - Teacher Miss Kate Straten; scholars - 51; Subdistrict No. 16 - Linne Hill School - Teacher M. M. Wallace; scholars - 40.

Names of Jackson Township schools 1918-1919

Omega Elementary & High School, Combs, Big Run, Erich, Upper Carr’s, Mutton Run, Jackson Run, Hay Hollow, Lower Carr’s, Hixon Run, Wickline, Corwine & Foster.

1936 East Jackson one room schools closed and new building in use. Centralized Elementary principal is Arthur Condon.

27 Aug. 1936 The Republican Herald

Omega School 

Back Row left to right: Matilda Scott, unknown, Peg Harrison, Orville Oyer, Birdy Bauer, Mearl O. Scott the teacher, Corbett Harris, Dorothy Scott, ,-----Leffler, Henry George.
Row two- unknown, Mary French, Helen Nichols, unknown, Jean Scott, unknown, unknown, unknown.
Bottom row-unknown, Bob Franklin, unknown and Don Whaley. 


Omega School 1931 

Teacher: Altha Landrew

Students: ? Conley, Harold Voelker, Robers Nichols, Norma George, John William Scott, ? Richmond, Wilby Bauer Jr. (5 May 1921-24 May 1994), Harry George, Charles Ray, Marie Harris, Joe Rapp, Charles Acord, Mary Louise Acord, Richard Scott, Anna Frank, Leonard Vest, Mildred Rapp, Mary Jane Scott, Helen Hatfield, Edith Pope, Virginia Acord, Anabell George, Ivan Scott, Victoria Sherkey, Lonnie Conley, Dorothy George, Kathryn Rapp, Anna Louise Landrum, Leathy Marie Echard, Betty Ray, Lydia Conley, Charles Christman, Laura Frank, Jimmie Scott, and Wallace George

5th-8th grade Omega School 1920

Omega Normal Training in 1917

Earl Foster Principle Omega High School in 1917

Omega School Class of 1913-14 

Front to back, Left to right

Row 1: Dean Richardson, Deane Maloy, Edna Maloy, Bonadine Clements, Neva Whaley, Vivian Clayton, Ed Rapp, George Scott, Harold Blazer (11 Feb 1899 - Jun 1944).

Row 2: Ralph Schwartz, Tommie Byrd, Bessie Byrd, Susie Boggs, Mamie Scott, Pauline Blazer (4 Oct 1903 - 15 Dec 1990), Marvine Blazer (22 May 1902 - 3 Nov 1992), Goldie Maloy, Dorel Whaley

Row 3: Mark Rapp, Harry Fiddler, Henerietta Bower, Clara Sheetz, Clarence Sheetz, Frank Ray, Marion Wills, Opal Maloy

Row 4: Hugh Ray, Mamie Saxton, Neva Scott, Marguerite Schwartz, Nora Schwartz, Harry Bower, Earl Graves, Hobart Bauer, Harold Wickline

Row 5: Arthur Condon (teacher), Marie Christman, Golden Scott, Ella Humphrey, Pearl Sheetz, Elma Humphrey, Verna Colvin, Albert Whaley, Jamie Rice (teacher)

Row 6: Nora Hatfield, Otto Colvin, Clarence Saxton, Walter Richardson, Edna Maloy, Vic Shoemaker

Omega School picture curtsey of Betty Gildow

Omega School Picture taken about 1910 

Teacher- Iona Colvin
Students: Vivian Claytor, Alma Irons, Maurice Scott, Earnest Claytor, Harry Bauer (30 May 1901-Mar 1977), Ralph Schwartz (4 Nov 1903-4 Jun 1966), Clara Sheetz, Edna Maloy, Clarence Sheetz, Bonadine Clements, Opal Maloy, Pauline Blazer (4 Oct 1903-15 Dec 1990), Hubert Clifton, Marvine Blazer (22 May 1902-3 Nov 1992)

Omega School picture curtsey of Betty Gildow

1907-1908 Omega School Students
Omega School picture curtsey of Betty Gildow

Omega School, later the grange hall and now a residence.

The red brick for the building was made by Bauersach's brick yard. The brick company was located around the Triple A office on Emmitt Avenue, and behind it. The clay was dug in the Green Acres area and dried there. The canal ran along in front and the bricks were probably transported to Omega on canal boats.

Former Waverly School Superintendent John R. Tiechert once taught school here.

Omega School taken some time in 1950s

OMEGA SCHOOLS ARE NOW CLOSED

And the Pupils Are Being Transported to Waverly School

Judge Joseph W. Bagby of Brown county sitting by special assignment in place of Judge George D. Nye in the mandamus proceedings of patrons of the Omega schools sustained the Waverly rural board of education in closing the school and transporting the pupils to Waverly. About forty patrons of the Omega school instituted the proceedings after the board had closed the school on the recommendation of the state department, which had hinted that state aid would be withdrawn from the entire district if the Omega school wasn't closed. The Omega high school and the 7th and 8th grade students have been transported to Waverly since the establishment of the Waverly rural school district and the opening of the new building. Since that time the first six grades have been maintained at Omega. Attorney W. T. Reed of Waverly represented the patrons of the Omega school. Prosecuting Attorney Jacob E. Davis represented the local board of education and a Mr. Ray represented the state department.

6 Sep 1934 The Republican Herald

Pupil list for the Omega School year 1905-1906
The teacher Mrs. Charles Washburn.
The Pupils:
Hetty May Groves, Myrtle Scott, Hazel Maloy,
Nora Schwartz, Golden Scott, Vena Colvin,
Ethel Hammond, Mabel Claytor, Rena Taylor,
Louise Hayth, Henrietta Pendagrass, Helen Chenault,
Ella Humphrey, Ethel Davis, Viola Bauer,
Dora Manson, Cora Hatfield, Geneva Whaley,
Hazel Rapp, LuLu Hatfield, Bessie Templeton
Ross and Ray Claytor, Walter (1899-21 Jan 1973) and Edwin Maloy,
Mason, Shelby and Auburn Manson,
Ray and Carl Schwartz, Floyd (1 May 1896-11 Feb 1973) and Arlo Scott,
Otto and Wells Colvin, Hugh Chenault, Walter Richardson
Neil Scott (16 Nov 1896-18 Aug 1910), Stanley Harris (29 Mar 1897-30 Jan 1944), and Ivan Ray (10 Mar 1896-15 Mar 1956)

Eighth graders who passed entrance exam and entitled to enter high school from Jackson township. April 11 1930 Gene Hartley, Waldren Glassburn, Mary Brewer, Woodrow Reisinger, Leslie Frick, Juanita Jackson

1 May 1930 Waverly Watchman

Hay Hollow School on Hay Hollow Rd. as it looks August 2006 

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Will Acord was teacher at the Mutton Run School as of April 20, 1920

Erich School was located on the Alma Omega road just before Back Hollow Road

Left to Right: Amy H. Ray Teacher (1894-1928), Else Burditt (b. abt 1899), Ocie Rose (b. Mar 1899), Ruby Amos, Opal Matteney, Milthey Cook, Paul Emmitt, Jacob Ray Wiseman (b 1906), Henry Rose (9 Mar 1901-11 Dec 1971), Harold E. Wiseman (b. 1904), Elgen Matheney, Ocae Burditt (b. abt 1907), Andy Rose (b. 1905)

Pictures from The East Jackson 2008 Reunion

Pupil list for the Omega School year 1905-1906

The teacher Mrs. Charles Washburn. The Pupils: Hetty May Groves, Myrtle Scott, Hazel Maloy, Nora Schwartz, Golden Scott, Vena Colvin, Ethel Hammond, Mabel Claytor, Rena Taylor, Louise Hayth, Henrietta Pendagrass, Helen Chenault, Ella Humphrey, Ethel Davis, Viola Bauer, Dora Manson, Cora Hatfield, Geneva Whaley, Hazel Rapp, LuLu Hatfield, Bessie Templeton Ross and Ray Claytor, Walter and Edwin Maloy, Mason, Shelby and Auburn Manson, Ray and Carl Schwartz, Floyd and Arlo Scott, Otto and Wells Colvin, Hugh Chenault, Walter Richardson Neil Scott, Stanley Harris, and Ivan Ray.

Eighth graders who passed entrance exam and entitled to enter high school from Jackson township. April 11 1930 ; Gene Hartley, Waldren Glassburn, Mary Brewer, Woodrow Reisinger, Leslie Frick, Juanita Jackson

1 May 1930 Waverly Watchman

Left to right: Geneva Davis, Kathleen Glenn, Ruth Snyder, Lee Snyder (principle), Laura Rider (cook), Mini Brewer, Roberta Schrader

East Jackson Township School 1st-4th grade class 1945-1946 school year. 

Carol Jones-Hines is the forth student from the left in the front row, Mona Maple ninth person from left, On the extreme right is Martha Willis (Wittkugle). The two boys standing on the left are the Star brothers. Ron Anderson is one of the boys in the left back. The teachers are Mrs. Davis teacher of the 1st and second grades and on the right. Mrs. Snyder teacher of the third and forth grade. The principal was Mr. Snyder who also taught seventh and eighth grades. Miss Ella Humphrey ran fifth and sixth grades and is reported to have used strict discipline.    

The picture is from Carol Hines.

Teachers for fall term 1945: Lee Snyder, Principle; Kathryn Glover, Ruth Snyder, Neva Davis

Katy Maple has identified this as the East Jackson School

Upper Carr's Run school at 3893 Carr's Run Road now occupied by the Charles Murray family. It was purchased by Charles' dad when the school board closed the school and sold it. At one time the teacher lived on Straight Creek and would come to school across the hills behind the school and it became know as "teachers path."

photo by Tyrone Hemry 21 March 2009

Lower Carr's Run School, now used as Sunday School for the Liberty Valley AME Church 5760 Carr's Run Road. The road use to run between the school and the church. The road now runs around the west side of the church.

Teacher for fall term 1945: Louise Harris

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Map showing school and church locations

Jackson Twp., Pike Co., Ohio Schools