12 Apr 1945 Republican Herald

100 year celebration of the church

Row 1 L - R: Laura Foster (8 Oct 1865 - 21 Apr 1959, Emma V. Foster (12 Aug - 27 Dec 1951), Viola McKenney (21 Nov - 4 Dec 1968), Dela Eric

Row 2: Second from Left Eliza Blazer (2 Dec 1872 - 24 Feb 1945), also in row is Georgia Wills (14 Dec 1879 - 26 Apr 1955) and Dr. L. E. Wills, off to the right is Mrs. L. A. Scott,  Ertle, Blanche Hatmaker, others unknown

Betty Gildow collection

100th Anniversary of Omega Methodist Church on November 1st
All day services will take place on Sunday, Nov. 1st, for the Omega Methodist Church, which has been in existence for 100 years.
Dr. H. E. Bright, Superintendent of the Chillicothe District, will speak at 10:00 a.m.
At 12:00 noon a basket dinner will be served in the afternoon at two p.m., a very appropriate program has been planned. Visiting pastors will be asked to make remarks.
The Omega Methodist Church was organized in 1842 by the Rev. James Law. That same year a frame building was erected at the cost of $1,500.00. The Trustees were John Wilson, John Foster, Thomas Day, and Richard Regen.
All former members and all friends are cordially invited to attend this service.
                                                                   22 October 1942 Republican Herald

Pleasant Hill German Church front  2 December 2016

photo by Tyrone Hemry

photo by Tyrone Hemry September 2015

Pleasant Hill German Church inside looking toward front 2 December 2016  Note song books laying on the mourners bench

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Mt. Sinai Church Cemetery 

********************************************************************************

Hixon Run Methodist Episcopal Church

Hixon Run Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1879 by Rev. Mr. Wakefield, with about 40 members. The class leader was Ben Hixon. The church was built the same year at a cost of $500. Trustees: Ben Hixon, Griffith and John Allen. The present pastor is J. W. Seabrooks, and the trustees are the same, except John Allen, who moved away. Regular services are held every two weeks. (from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" page 796 printed in 1884)

***************************************************************

Mt. Sinai Baptist Church

was on Hay hollow near Whiskey Run

Mt. Sinai Baptist Church - Colored is located in the north eastern part of the township and is the oldest colored church society in the county-formed in 1855, by Rev. William Evans and Rev. Nelson Satterwhite. Only 10 people formed the church, and they had no building until 1872. That year they erected their present building and dedicated it. Rev. Andrew Hunt and Rev. Benjamin Sailors conducted the service. Rev. Hunt became the regular pastor.  The trustees in charge: Aaron White, James Hendricks, Bradford James, Joseph Davis and Frank Brown. Members 32, and services are held three Sundays a month. Rev. James Hendricks is the present pastor. Present trustees are Aaron White, James Bryant and Cary Netter with membership of 52. (from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" page 796 printed in 1884)

The Church was still in existence as of July 1945 as James Edward Minor funeral was held at the church.

Ferdinand and Lucy Halterman Rose

Ferdinand b. 28 Jun 1835-d. 8 Oct 1912, Lucy b.2 Oct 1839-d. 15 Jan 1918, buried Grandview Cemetery on Hay Hollow.

photo by Gary Minor

The church was said to have had all day meetings and the young people would go hike up to Chimney Rock.

Churches of the Past

****************************************************

Bethesda Christian Church

The Bethesda Christian Church of Sharonville (Omega) was organized January 3, 1860 by Rev E. W. Shortridge, with a membership of 45. William Marshall and J. W. Hayes - deacons. The church was built in 1864. Before they built the church, meetings were held at the Davis school house. Their membership is now 45, and the pastor, Rev. S. H. Bingham. Regular preaching once a month.

 (from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" pages 795 & 796 printed in 1884)

*************************************************************************************

Chimney Rock Run Baptist Church

Chimney Rock Run Baptist Church was located about 2 miles north of Hay Hollow on Hixon Run.  The church was built prior to 1897 as a mission of the Richmon Dale Baptist Church. The first pastor and builder of the church was Rev. Ferdinand Rose, also a moderator for the Baptist convention. Another pastor was a grand son was Gerald H. Coy. A known member was James M. Acord, Sr. and served in an official capacity.

Information from Gary Minor and Elaine Nichols-Tipton

The Parishan published 1933

*************************************

Philadelphia Missionary Baptist

located on Carr's Run

     Philadelphia Missionary Baptist (Colored) was organized under the direction of Rev. William James in 1858. It was not until 1882 that they erected a church building. They now have 25 members.
    The pastor was Rev. Benjamin Sailors followed by the present pastor , Rev Kendall Carter. The trustees are S. P. Newman, August Zimmerman and Henry Carter. Since the erection their membership has  increased to 35 members and have service once a month and Sunday school six months a year. This is from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" page 796 printed in  1884) 

***********************************

Zion Baptist Church founded 1830
 13236 St. Rt. 335 Beaver, Ohio 

*********************************************************

Enterprise Baptist Church
      located on Straight Creek

Churches in Jackson Twp., Pike Co., Ohio 

Allen Chapel Church

formerly Jerusalem Church of Christ in Christian Union

Church is located on Wickline Road off Hay Hollow Road in East Jackson Twp., Pike Co., Ohio 

Allen Chapel Cemetery also known as Jerusalem Chapel Cemetery and Allen Ridge located across the road from the church. 

photos by Tyrone Hemry 10 Oct 2004

In 2015 the church bell was removed and taken to Hamon Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2015

photo by Tyrone Hemry August 2006

Omega United Methodist Church October 1966

photo by Vincent Scott

*******************************************************

Linn Hill Church on Rt. 335 

Linn Hill Community Christian Church Cemetery also called Barton Cemetery located behind the church.

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Old Linn Hill Christian Community Church with Rev. Orland Willis pictured

Picture courtesy of Paula Gilbert

Linn Hill Church was torn down about 1974 and the new one built in 1974. Timber for the church was donated by Ray Murray from his land on Carr's Run. The flooring came from the old East Jackson School. The flooring was cleaned by Virgil & Edana Davis and Shelby Miller. Jack Holt got Mead to donate the land that the cemetery sets on in back of the church to the cemetery. This information courtesy of Paula Gilbert

WILLIS, ORLAND VERDELL, "Rev Orland Verdell Willis, 92, of Chillicothe, died early Wednesday morning, May 11, 1994, in Westmoreland Place, following an extended illness.
He was born Nov. 30, 1901, inPikeCounty, the son of Madison and Rose Maple Burns Willis.He was married in 1921, to Lottie Mae Wishon, who preceded him in death in 1969.In 1974, he married Nan K. Neff Counts, who survives.
Also surviving are ten children, 31 grandchildren, five step grandchildren, 59 great grandchildren, and seven great-great-grandchildren.He was also preceded in death by two grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
Rev. Willis was a pastor with 41 years of service, retiring in 1985.He was a member of the Lynn Hill Christian Church in Pike
County, where he pastored for 16 years, and helped to design and build the church, which was dedicated in 1974.
Graveside funeral services will be held 4 P.m.Saturday in the OmegaCemetery,PikeCounty, with Rev. G. T. Wright officiating.Calling hours will not be observed.Arrangement are under the direction of the Fawcett Oliver Glass and Palmer Funeral home." 13 May 1994 ChillicotheGazette

Lynn Hill Homecoming Was Held on Sunday

Lynn Hill Christian Church observed its fourth annual homecoming at all-day services on Sunday at the church.
Those taking part in the program were superintendent Mrs. Seymour Davis, in charge, Rev. Newton Dyke, leader, Rev. Robert Ernest, speaker and Mrs. Lewis Counts, organ accompanist.
Special music was furnished by Mrs. Counts and daughter, Mrs. Jean Price, the Detillion sisters and several others.

9 Oct 1941 The Waverly Watchman

    Liberty Valley African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded May 17, 1888. Several members of another communion decided that the African Methodist Episcopal Church was a better doctrine for the success and development of their race. After devotionals led by led by Dr. G. H. Graham, Presiding Elder of the A.M.E. Church, it was resolved and adopted that this be known as the African Methodist Church of Liberty Valley, and this was moved by A. M. Estill, G. H. Cotton, Cornelius Carter, Sarah Carter, A. M. Estill, Isaac Redman, Frances Jackson, Milirad Smith and Dorcia Mischal. The following persons immediately joined the church: Elizabeth Howard, Abraham Lett, Sarah Valentine, Mary Carter, John Redman, Sarah Brown, George Carter, Barbara Redman, Frances Brown and Martha Redman.

    The congregations formerly met in the United Brethren Church on Carrs Run Road. The first class leaders were A. M. Estill and Isaac Redman. The first pastor was Reverend E. C. Cotton, a school teacher. He was assisted by his brother G. H. Cotton. Thirty-five pastors have served to date. (2007?) The church was without a pastor from October 1971 to 1975. Significant historical events: The Annual Emancipation Proclamation Rally was held at the church for several years. Important yearly events are the church anniversary, Larinza B. Jackson and Reverend E. T. Wikle Day and Annual Homecoming on the fourth Sunday in August. The oldest living member is Mr. Raymond Harris. (?)

    At one time there were 50 members on our Church Rolls. Many have departed to the great beyond and many have moved away and joined other churches. We are small in number, but we are striving up the Kings Highway as our forefathers have done before us.

Reverend Barbara L. Baccus was Pastor in 2006.  Current pastor is Kevin Wardlaw 

**********************************************************

Grandview Church of Christ in Christian Union

on Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio.

photo by Tyrone Hemry  January 2008

Joseph Henry Davis a former preacher at Jerusalem Chapel

Jim Henry collection

 From L to R: Maggie daughter of Joseph Henry Davis, Maggie's baby Bernice and ?
 from Jim Henry photo collection

 Latest history added by Betty Gildow, November 2006.

1933

Trustees--E. Jones, J. Voelker, S. Jones, C. C. Scott, E. Hatfield, W. Landrum, T. Franklin.

Stewards--C.C. Scott, Mrs. E. Landrum, Mrs. E. Hatfield, Mrs. D. Oyer

In Charge:-- S. S., J. Voelker; L. A., Mrs. Martin; C. S., Mrs. E. Hatfield; C. T., C. C. Scott

17 Nov 1938 The Republican Herald shows Rev. O. A. King as minister

November 1944 The new minister was Rev. C. H. Marsh who replaced Rev. Sarah Bowman. The Republican Herald 9 Nov 1944 He resigned to return home to Huntington, WV

11 Oct 1945 The Waverly News Watchman

June 1946 the new minister was Rev. H. D. Nothstine and the Omega circuit included Foster's Chapel, Cline's Chapel, Massieville, Bishop Hill and Omega.
The Republican Herald 13 Jun 1946

Omega Pastor Resigns
Rev. C. E. Bulen has resigned as pastor of the Omega Methodist circuit. He announced that he is moving to Glouster. His Omega charge included the churches of Massieville, Alma, Denver, Cline’s Chapel, Foster’s and Omega.
8 December 1949 Republican Herald

WILL REPAIR CHURCH

The official board of the Omega M. E. church will accept sealed bids on papering their church and also repairing and repainting of the ceiling; bids to be either on the work as a whole or in part, same to be specified in bid. All bids are to be turned in not later than 12:00 o'clock noon, September 15th to the chairman of the committee, Mrs. Henry Saxton, Omega, Ohio

3 Sep 1936 The Republican Herald


Omega Methodist Episcopal Church

Beginning History Written by Mrs. E. R. Jones

     The Methodist Episcopal Church in Omega (formerly Sharonville) was organized in 1842 by Rev. James Laws. TheChurch was built in the same year at a cost of $1500.  It was erected on the ground which had formerly belonged to the Wilson Family. The foundation of the Wilson home was uncovered when the excavating was begun for the church. The trustees were: John Wilson, John Foster, Thomas Day and Richard Ragan. The pastor at that time was Rev. William Morris. Regular services were held every three weeks. The church has stood as a spiritual lighthouse for many years. There have been many changes and improvements made to the church but the main building is still being used.

     In those days there were not so many forms of amusement, so the church services were well attended. For that reason the church was large. Too large to heat in the opinion of a later minister, who was instrumental in having a partition put across it. At first the heating was done by means to a large fireplace just back of the pulpit, which has since been covered over. Membership is about 30. Later a chimney was erected near the center and stove set up. Pauline Blazer remembers that up until 1960's there were two stoves, one on each side. Eventually, the stoves were replaced by a fuel oil furnace.

     Papers were filed June 21,1888, volume 34, Page 235, 3 addition in Sharonville, Pike Co., OH (now Omega) for the lot to be used as a parsonage for Omega and Foster's Chapel. Property was bought from Marcus L. and Kizzie Lynch etal. It was deeded to John W. Corwine etal,Trustees. Amount was $700.

     In 1924, A Woman's Society of Christian Service was organized and met the first Wednesday in each month in the homes of the members, Mrs. Ed Franklin was its1st president. For many, many years the ladies served a pancake sausage dinner as well as a chicken and noodle dinner each year. In 2006, Betty Gildow serves as president replacing Mrs. Georgia Scott in 1971. Other officers in 2006 are Betty Scott, Vice President; Mary Breitenbach, secretary; Ann Stanley, Treasurer.

     "The church by the side of the road" was re-dedicated at an all-day service on October 31, 1937 with more than 200 persons attending the event. A basket dinner was enjoyed at the noon hour. Both the morning sermon and the special dedicatory sermon in the afternoon were delivered by District Superintendent Dr. Ira Jones. In the morning service Rev. E. J. William, the pastor, presided and the prayer was given by Rev. A. E. McCullough a former pastor. Special music featured both services, songs being given by the Omega Church Choir. Those giving talks in the afternoon were Rev. S. C. Elsea, Rev. W. A. Cooper, Mrs. E. R. Jones, Mrs. Cornelius Fillinger, Mrs. L. f. Wills and Mrs. Ira Jones. The dedicatory prayer was given by Rev. J. V. Stone of Waverly.  A special offering for the re-dedicated church was taken in the afternoon and a nice sum of money was obtained. Extensive improvements in the last two years include a new roof and floor, redecoration of the interior and the addition of circular seats. These were bought from the Whister Church in Ross County, Ohio.

Arrangements for the services were in the hands of Miss. Pauline Blazer and members of her committee. Pastor at this time was Rev. E. J. Williams.

     In 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Churches became the Methodist Church thus Omega became The Omega Methodist Church.  1940, churches on the charge were Alma, Bishop Hill, Cline's Chapel, Denver, Foster's Chapel, Massieville and Omega. Trustees in 1942 were Mr. and Mrs. Ed Franklin, Mrs. M. O. Scott and Mrs. E. R. Jones. Churches on the charge: during this year were Alma, Bishop Hill, Clines Chapel, Denver, Forster's Chapel, Massieville and Omega. The charge was pastured by Deaconess Bertha Riel and Rev. Sara Bowman.

     Omega celebrated its Centennial Celebration on Nov. 1, 1942. Members and friends present numbered 131. A basket dinner was held. Speaker was district supt. Dr. H. E. Bright. Music was by the Pilgrim Quartet and Blanche and Anna Louise Rapp. Pianist at this time was Max Irwin.     Churches on the Omega charge in 1958 were: Denver, Cline's Chapel, Alma, Omega and Massieville. Trustees in 1958 were Miss. Pauline Blazer, Mr. C. C. Scott, Mr. D. W. Landrum, Mr. M. O. Scott and Mr. Eugene Scott. Also in 1958, Claude Foster donated Omega an electric organ. It was presented as a 'gift of God'. Mrs. Nancy Scott served as organist.     In 1969, The Methodist Churches combined with the Evangelical United Brethren and became the United Methodist churches. Omega then became The Omega United Methodist Church.  Articles of Incorporation were filed with the Secretary of the State of Ohio on Nov. 13, 1975. Pauline Blazer was named statutory agent.

     Some of the more recent history was added by Pauline 'Sally' Blazer. She died Dec. 1990.

     Nov. 7, 1978, The Omega Methodist Church trustees signed the papers for the sale of the parsonage. In Omega to James Rider in the amount of $11,136.87 after fees were paid. A house had been rented in Omega for use as a parsonage in Sept. 1885 because the parsonage at Massieville was beyond repair.

     Aluminum siding was added in 1979, also a new front entrance and cement porch and steps and railing were added. It was during this year, the members and friends of the church joined the Omega CCCU in ringing the church bells daily at noon to remember the American Hostages in Iran.

     In 1980, the hall was redecorated and ceiling lowered plus carpet installed. Sometime before that paneling was added to the interior of the main sanctuary.

     On Nov. 7, 1982, our church celebrated its 140th anniversary. Rev. Raymond S. Daniel., Sr. was instrumental in planning this celebration. 109 people were in attendance. A basket dinner was held in the grange hall across the street. The morning message was given by Rev. Richard Jarvis, former minister, district Supt. Carl Robinson gave the message of re-dedication in the afternoon. Singing were Charles Helman, the Daily Family and the Omega Quartet (Mary Breitenbach, Myrna Cryder, Betty Gildow and Ann Stanley.) 140 balloons carrying the message of hope for the future of the church were released in the afternoon.  Churches on the Omega charge at this time were Alma, Massieville and Omega.

     In Dec. 1986, a wheelchair ramp was installed, donated by Jeff and Candy Chattin.

    In June 1991, the church pews were padded with donations from the memorial fund.

     On Oct. 25, 1992 the church celebrate it 150th anniversary with a carry in dinner. Rev. J. Hughes Price was minister at this time. Former pastor, Rev. Raymond Daniel had been asked to bring the message "The Witnessing Church" but on Oct. 15, 1992 Rev. Daniel fell and broke his hip so Rev. Hughes Price and District Supt. Rev. Owen Delp graciously filled "his shoes" for the morning service. A letter from Bishop Judith Craig was read. The act of rededication was given by Rev. Delp and Rev. Price. Pianist was Mrs. Hughes (Rhoda) Price and music by the Omega Quartet, Mary Breitenbach, Myrna Cryder, Betty Gildow and Ann Stanley and the Dailey Family from Chillicothe. The poem "The Omega Methodist Church" was written and read by friend, Mrs. Beatrice Drummond. Senior members were recognized: Mrs. Georgia Scott, Mrs. Jean Schmitt and Mrs. Helen Newton.  Recognition was also given for the 4, 5 and 6th generation now attending. They were Holly and Blair Taylor, 6th generation of the Blazer-Maloy family; Ryan Chattin, 4th generation of the Scott Family and 5th generation of the Landrum family; Lauren and Erica Breitenbach, 5th generation of the Landrum family.  Message in the afternoon was given by Mrs. Esther Frye of Xenia, Ohio, using her great artistic chalk talent. Very well received. 150 balloons, filled with messages of hope, were released at 2:30 pm. Visiting former pastors were Rev. Gene James and Rev. Mary Barclay.  Trustees at this time were Mrs. C. C. Scott, Mrs. W. E. Schmitt, David Hoselton, Gilbert Breitenbach, Mrs. Dale Taylor, Mrs. Jeff Chattin, Mrs. E. Vincent Scott, Mrs. Robert Stanley and William Gildow. William Gildow was also the Sunday school Supt.

     In May 2001, a 4 ton carrier air conditioner was installed at a cost of $3215. Half of this cost was donated by an anonymous donor. In June 2001, Robert ad Stella Pierce of Bristol Village, donated a Baldwin Organ to the church. Judy Lewis is now our organist in 2006, Betty Gildow at the piano.

     In August 2002, new double doors were installed as was a roof over the porch and new railing. The cost $4000.

     The Massieville church left the charge in May 19, 2002. Due to poor attendance, the church was closed at this time.

     June 8, 2005, a letter was received from Portsmouth Dist. Supt. David Brown stating that the Alma church was wanting to leave the charge. Effective July 1, 2005, Alma began a new chapter of service in their ministry. This decision was approved by the Bishop Bruce Ough. Omega is no longer considered a charge. Calvary United Methodist church became our sister church but we still are not a charge.Trustees for 2005, 2006, 2007 are: Ann Stanley, Betty Scott, William Gildow, Gilbert Breitenbach, Betty Gildow, Steve Slone, Jean Schmitt, Jackie Taylor and Candy Chattin. Pastor serving 1998 to the present is Rev. Walter E. Dawson.

*****************************************

Omega Church of Christ in Christian Union 

************************************

Omega United Methodist Church 

photo by Tyrone Hemry November 2006

photo by Tyrone Hemry November 2006

Grandview CCCU Church 1950 family 

Grandview Cemetery to the right of the church

The deed for this church is dated in 1891.

The current pastor is Fred Williams. He reports that they put on a new roof in 2007 and are making other repairs inside.

They use to hold Church Dinners across the road in the cemetery near the water pump just to the left as you go in the gate across from the church.

Some of the former pastors were Garlan Reed and Woodrow Trainer.

The old log church, formerly called Jerusalem Chapel Christian Union Church was organized in 1877 by Rev. J. E. Redfern. 16 persons joined, and George Ervin, William Anderson and William Quincil were chosen elders. The neat and pleasant building was erected in 1887. The elders at this time were Maquil, Manering, Charles Collins and Albert Riley with a membership of 45. It was built with yellow pine logs, 30 feet long and 18 inches across at the smallest end, on land obtained from the Allen family. The Allens had obtained the land from Mr. C. C. Hawk, who had purchased it at the Chillicothe Land Office prior to the Civil War. The church was vacant from 1942 to 1949 and was in bad need of repair when a Sunday School was organized by J. Lee Steele, missionary of the American Sunday School Union in November 1949. Folks in the community obtained a new deed for the building making it a community church, repairing the old building and cleaned the cemetery. The building was rendered unsafe because of an accident during July 1957.

A partial list of pastors: Rev. Carter, Rev. Eveland, Rev. John Eblin, Rev. Runyon, Rev. Levi Walls, Rev. Elwin Walls, Rev. Bert Beekman, Rev. Glen Mills, Rev. I. Q. Morris, Rev. Willie Morris, Rev. George Shoemaker, Rev. Charles Overly, Joseph Henry Davis, and Rev. Washington Vance.


The 23 year old Uncle of the current pastor, Marilyn Collins, was killed Sunday, May 30, 1926, at two o’clock in the afternoon during a Memorial services in progress and snapped out the life of Lucretius L. Allen who was struck by lightning while setting in church. The bolt of lightning struck a tree at the corner of the church, ran down the side of the building and flashed through an open window striking Allen and killing him instantly.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

100 anniversary celebration 1 November 1942

Bottom row L - R: Bill Saxon (1877-1957), Ed Franklin (1870 - 1953), Webster Landrum (1907 - 1963), Lura Foster (8 Oct 1865 - 21 Apr 1959), Eliza Blazer (2 Dec 1872 - 24 Feb 1945), Viola McKenney (21 Nov - 4 Dec 1968), Dela Eric.  Others unknown

Betty Gildow collection

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

***************************************************************

Mt. Vernon Baptist Church

The church was organized by the Reverends William Holmes and Thomas, in 1860. It started with a membership of 42 and held their meetings at the Holmes school house for several years or until 1866 when they erected a church building on a branch of Hay Hollow Creek.
The deacons of the church were: Charles Gatlin, G. W. Fitzpatrick and Richard Sherwood, but at the present only Mr. Fitzpatrick is a deacon. They hold regular services once a month, the pastor being Rev. H. Adams. (from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" page 796 printed in 1884)

***************************************************************

Omega Nazarene Church

Robert Toops was pastor of the Omega Nazarene Church 17 Sep 1933

***************************************************************

Omega Holiness Mission

"Revival at Omega--It was announced Wednesday that revival services will begin at Omega Holiness Mission on Sunday, October 21st with Rev. Omer Harrison as the evangelist.
The pastor Rev. Marion Conkel invites everybody to come and pray.
The meeting will start at 7 o'clock each evening" 11 Oct 1945 The Waverly News Watchman

***************************************************************

Omega Christian Church

The Omega Christian Church was organized in 1877 by the Rev. Nathaniel Nelson. The deacons were: Ben Coy and S. M. Hatfield, with a membership of 64. They hold their meetings in the Hay Hollow Baptist Church, but at this time are building a church on Sand Hill, near Hay Hollow. The value of the property when finished will be about $850. The pastor is the Rev. F. E. Evans; deacons, Philip Howser and George Green; and a membership of 160. The members of the building committee are: Isaac Miller; George Green and Remus Miller. Services once a month. (from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" page 795 printed in 1884)

***************************************************************

Pleasant Hill German Church

located on Whiskey Run

***************************************

United Brethren in Christ

United Brethren in Christ- Colored was organized with 15 members by Rev. George Livingston in 1859. In 1866, they erected their church building dedicated by Bishop Edwards. They had then 25 members, and their pastor was Rev. Valentine Zimmerman. It has grown steadily until now - 38 members - Rev. William Samson being the minister in Charge - Elder William McDaniels. Services are held every three weeks, and a Sabbath school every Sunday. (from the "History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio" printed in 1884)

Zion Baptist Church original building

current pastor Keith Jackson

photos by Tyrone Hemry

Pleasant Hill German Church looking at north side 2 December 2016

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Pleasant Hill German Church north west corner view  2 December 2016

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Pleasant Hill German Church inside looking from front toward front door 2 December 2016
photo by Tyrone Hemry

The church was started 5 Oct 1858 with 8 charter members: Brother and sister Silas Newman, Rev. Samuel Atwell and wife, Rev. and Mrs Henry Carter and Brother and sister Atwell.

Pastor as of 2 Mar 1950 was G. K. McCorkle

Pleasant Hill Church Cemetery

 

************************************************************************

Liberty Valley African Methodist Episcopal Church

"The Little Church with The Big heart!!"

located on Carr's Run 


Weekend Meeting

The Pleasant Hill (German) church will begin a weekend meeting on Wednesday 26, with the Rev. Orland Willis, the pastor, and Rev. Ted Horsley as the speakers. Special singing for each evening. The public is cordial invited to attend.

20 July 1950 The Republican Herald

Former Pastor

In 1952 Mason Dyke pastored his first church at Pleasant Hill Germany Church. He became a minister in the Scioto Valley Christian Conference in 1954 and ordained in 1955. In 2011 he was celebrated for being in the conference for 63 years and being the only living honor roll member. He also pastored at Pleasant Hill Community Church and Waverly Bible Christian Church.

"from Mason Dyke obit"