Untitled Untitled

Ohio Southern RR improvements 18 May 1885 Waverly Watchman

Ohio Southern RR Track changes 9 May 1882 Waverly Watchman

Ohio Southern RR 8 Coal cars break loose 3 Feb 1885 Waverly Watchman

D T & I Waverly Small building near the depot

Thom Placier pohto

D T & I buildings at Greggs mid 1980s

Thom Placier photo

D T & I  depot looking south east

Thom Placier photo

Along the connection with the N&W that formed the Wye. This is not the track that went to the N&W bridge, this went north toward the grain elevator on the N&W

Thom Placier photo

D T & I Waverly Standing near Route 220 looking west

Thom Placier photo

D T & I Looking east toward the junction with the N&W. Depot would be on the left

Thom Placier photo

Adams Grain elevator along the D T & I tracks at Waverly

Thom Placier photo

D T & I bridge over Route 23 in Waverly in March 1988.

Thom Placier photo

D T & I Coming on to the N&W to cross the Scioto River, looking north after 1987 

Thom Placier photo

D T & I Switchman's 'shanty' at the east end of the switch yard in Waverly by Rt. 220.

Thom Placier photo

17 Mar 1891 The Courier

17 Mar 1891 The Courier

Aparently this had to do with the bankruptcy of the railroad as originally organized as the Springfield, Jackson and Pomeroy Railroad Company 21 July 1881 and went in to recievership1 February 1879 and sold under foreclosure 29 October 1879 and then organized as Springfield Railroad Company 3 November 1879.   By 8 May 1895 the railroad was in financially trouble with receivers appointed and on 15 October, 1898 the road was sold under foreclosure.  That sale was confirmed 24 February 1899.  The road was then operated by a committe of the purchasers in preparation to reorganization.

Beaver Depot 1934
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

D T & I Carlisle Construction Co. Alco #33 at Rt. 220 at Waverly 1 Jan 1983  

D T & I Carlisle Construction Co. Alco #33 at Rt. 220 at Waverly 1 Jan 1983

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

March 1, 1910 picture courtesy of Barbara Toppins.

March 1, 1910 picture courtesy of Barbara Toppins.

Givens Store  note the D. T. & I. Tracts to the side of the store

D. T. & I. RR at Givens, Ohio

D. T. & I. engines at Red Hollow Road "Dove" Pike Co., Ohio 1977

D. T. & I Beavertown Depot built in 1899 in Marion Township and served the village of Beaver until July 12, 1914 when it was destroyed by a derailment.

D T & I going over the over pass of Rt. 23 Waverly

An Excursion Train on the Springfield Southern Goes Through a Bridge into the Canal.  One Man Killed and Several Injured Severely.

    On Last Friday evening about 6 o'clock, the people of Waverly were called upon to witness their first frightful railroad disaster, and  we are satisfied that it the earnest prayer of all that they may never again witness such a scene.  The accident occupied to an excursion train on the Springfield Southern Railroad, which  was returning to Jackson from Niagara Falls.  The train arrived at this point shortly before 6 o'clock, all safe and sound having on board about 150 men, women and children, mostly from our neighboring town of Jackson.  All was joy and happiness aboard the train, the tired excursionist anticipating a speedy and safe return to pleasant homes and anxious friends, never dreaming  that they were soon to meet with a horrible accident, which would turn their joy into the deepest sorrow and sadness and strike terror into the hearts of all.  The train shoved out from the depot at about 6 o'clock, and soon disappeared from view around the curve, leading to the bridge across the canal below town, when the crowd which had collected to greet the returning excursionists started back to town, thinking that all was well with their Jackson friends.  Suddenly their ears were greeted by a loud crash, accompanied by a dull heavy thud, as though caused by the falling of some heavy body.  All eyes were quickly turned in the direction of the train but no one for a moment supposed that any thing happened it.   For a minute or two there was a dead silence, when suddenly there came a doleful sound from the whistle of the excursion engine which was quickly taken up by the engine on the side tract at the depot, and all at once became convince that something terrible had happened.  Hardly had the whistles sounded the mournful alarm until the word came that the bridge had gone down with the train.  The terrible news flew like the wind, and soon from all portions of town great crowds of excited people where seen herring in the direction of the bridge.  Arriving on the grounds a few moments after the first alarm, we found that it was indeed true that the structure had gone down with the ill fated train, dealing death and destruction on all hands.  It was a terrible sight.  There in the canal lay the demolished bridge, on top of which was a wrecked coach, while from either abutment hung badly damaged cars, wedged in by falling timbers of the bridge.  Terrified women and children were screaming at the top of their voices, panic stricken men were rushing wildly about, the wounded were crying for help, while in the cruel embraces of the crushed timbers of the bridge lay poor Davy Dungan, silent in death.  It was a frightful heart-rendering scene, and is one we hope never to witness again.
     Just how the accident came about, is still a matter of general dispute, and perhaps ever will be, but the most reliable evidence we have on this point in the statement of Mr. Ralph Leete, the engineer in charge of the train.  Mr. Leete says that just before his engine left the bridge he looked back and observed that his train was out of shape, but before he could realize the true situation of affairs, the third coach had struck the west corner of the bridge and knocked it off the abutment.  Seeing that the bridge was going, Mr. Leete says he put one all the steam possible to clear the engine and tender and prevent their being drawn back on top the wreck, which he luckily succeeded in doing.  It is evident from this statement, and the marks of the wheels on the ties, that the third car, above referred to, jumped the track about thirty feet from the bride, and ran against it with the above effect.  Several other responsible parties, who were eye witnesses to the occurrence, make statement to this same effect, the only difference being some of them claim that the second car did the damage.
     The train consisted of three coaches and a caboose, all which contained passengers.  Young Dungan, the only person killed outright, was in the caboose, next to the engine, in company with some young friends.  When the crash came it is said the unfortunate young man rushed our on the platform and attempted to save himself by jumping, but he was caught in the falling timbers and crushed to death.  He fell in the water close to the edge of the canal, where his body remained until about 6 o'clock the following morning before it was taken out.  Every effort was made to recover the body sooner, but unfortunately there were no means at hand for removing the heavy cars and timber to that it could be gotten our sooner.  No other parties in the caboose were injured and if young Dungan had remained quiet, he would have in all probability escaped uninjured seriously.  The other parties injured seriously, were Thos. Dungan, brother to the deceased, James McLaughlin, of Wellston, P. M. Washam, and Mrs. Jacob Birtch, of Jackson.  The latter, it was rumored on our streets yesterday, had since died of her injuries.  The former was taken home yesterday on the noon train but is still in a dangerous condition.  Among those not seriously hurt were Miss Maria Poor, Jessie Laird, Geo. Davis, W. A. Steele, Effle Clara, Ed. Crossland, W. F. Scott, Mrs. Davis, Jessie Murfin, George Blagg, Maggie Snyder, Arty Monahan.  
     The excursionists behaved with great coolness and judgment under the frightful circumstances, and ever body on board appeared to be helping each other to escape from the wreck,  Many brave acts sere performed by those who escaped uninjured but we have not the name of the heroes and can not make special mention of them as we wo'd like to do.
     The people of Waverly, without any exception, did everything in their power for the wrecked excursionists.  Everybody threw their houses open to them and stood ready and anxious to render the unfortunate stranger ever kindness and attention possible.
     The Railroad Company acted with all the promptness possible under the circumstances and by noon Monday the wreck was entirely cleared away, a new bridge was up and the road was opened to business as usual. (Note train wreck was 7th of August)11Aug 1880 Waverly Watchman

Note: The passenger station was on the west side of town, on the south side of SR 220 (West North Street), and on the east side of the tracks.

Bridge Burned

Trestle number 111, near Givens, on the Ohio Southern, caught fire on Friday evening and was almost entirely destroyed.  All trains were delayed until necessary repairs were made, which required about three hours.

17 May 1900 The Waverly News 

This brick D. T. & I. freight station sat on Depot Road and Second Street, Waverly.  It was built in 1953 and demolished in spring of 2002 to satisfy state requirements to construct a state approved truck bypass connecting SR220 East and West Second St.  The city of Waverly was the last owner of the structure.  Waverly purchased the former D T & I rail yards and depot to ensure connection between Mills Pride (Masco) and the N & W. The middle part of the building had a room that train crews could stay in if they had to lay over

1991 View of the Waverly D T & I depot 

Lee flour Mill by D. T. & I. RR Tracks Waverly, Ohio 1900 On Wagon: Driver John A. F. Downing and Jack Hughes.  Standing: Elmer Downing, Edward Johnston and owner Mr. Strittmatter.

1900 era industrial area at South End of Waverly 

D. T. & I. Overpass over Rt. 23 in Waverly. Many times trucks with a high load hit the bridge. I remember one in the 70's when a truck hauling a crane hit the bridge. Picture is from the 1940's. 

Henry Ford, bought the D. T.& I. July 9, 1920 for $5 million for most all the controlling stock except that held by two troublesome New Yorkers, receiving 456 miles of rundown main track and branch lines, 75 steam locomotives of which 50 could be considered serviceable, 2,800 freight and a couple dozen passenger cars, 41 small railroad stations - most everything in run down condition and brought it out of bankruptcy.  Henry held this as a personal holding consisting of himself, wife Clara and Edsel Ford.  After getting tired of government interference he sold it to the Pennsylvania RR in 1929 for $36 million in cash.  Pictured above is an inspection train North Bound about 1924 - 1926 at Waverly, Ohio.  Note Henry Ford is third person in line.  Henry Ford had the N & W pick up Ford Dealers in VA and WV starting at Norfolk and brought them to Waverly.  He then took them to Detroit to view how Fords were made.

June 1980 the Grand Trunk Western Railroad bought the D. T.& I. for 28.5 million

1898 Railroad map of Pike County, OH

Waverly Depot from Grandview note the sawmill in the foreground

D. T. & I. at Waverly when depot was just off Rt. 220W Note this is a later picture see the sawmill. 

D. T. & I. at Waverly when depot was just off Rt. 220W.  The depot was built in 1878.  The building was sold and moved out on John Cool's farm Rt. 220 west.

D T & I Southbound at North Street, Waverly abt. 1910

Gary Minor collection

D T & I RR in Pike County, OH