Additional Notes:

Present building sets on the former Dailyville Grange Hall location. The Grange closed in early 1940's.

Joshua "Mack" Munyan and his wife Mary Frances Stewart along with Joshua's sister Catherine Munyan-Tackett started the church.

*****************************************************************************************

Eden Baptist Church
2019 Nipgen Road, Waverly, Ohio

Waverly Calvary UMC Feb 26, 2007 

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Mr. & Mrs. Elmer Brown in front of the Cline Chapel church when they were celebrating their 50th Anniversary in 1949. Grandparents of Mike Patterson.

NEW CHURCH FUND

A combined service of worship and quarterly conference was conducted at the Waverly United Brethren church on last Sunday evening. Dr. C. M. Bowman, of Westerville, Ohio, bringing the message. Dr. Bowman, who is conference superintendent, spoke to a large audience on the subject of "Christians As The Light of the World." Action was taken to start a fund for the building of a new United Brethren church in Waverly. Money will be raised to help on a new church which will be built when conditions change. A "cash day" will be held in the church on December 17 to start the fund. Special features include sounds by a Portsmouth choir which will be present for the evening service on December 17th.

7 Dec 1944 The Republican Herald

Additional information:

Rev. Tulga has been pastor of U. B. since last September to leave June 1st for LaGrange, OH [10 May 1923 The Republican Herald]

1932 Floyd Bostick is pastor at the U. B. church. [29 Jun1931 The Republican Herald]

Rev. Beecher and K. Morgan was at the Waverly charge for 2 years and was sent to Harrisburg Church near Columbus and was replaced by Rev. Laura Strawn. (Phone # 165-R) [13 Sep 1934 The Republican Herald][11 Jun 1933]

1938 Pastor was Rev. T. W. Thompson

Rev. H. L Smith was pastor for 3 years prior to J. H. Conkel. Rev. Smith was moved to Union Furnace and Rev. Conkel was the former pastor of Long Run Church. [Source: 2 Sep 1943 The Republican Herald]

Septrmber1945 Rev. Conkel was starting third year (6 Sep 1945 The Waverly Watchman)

 

                                Pastors 1886-1950

  • Rev. William Morrison Galbreath, SS, April 1886 - April 1887 (1 year)
  • Rev. T. S. McWilliams, June 1889 -
  • Norman Jones, SS, 1890
  • Rev. Frank G. Moore, SS, October 1891 - September 1892 (1 year)
  • Jonah Smith, May 1893
  • Rev. Edward M. Page, SS, October 1894 - June 1895 (1 year)
  • Rev. Jacob F. Slagle, SS, November 1897 - December 1902 4 years
  • Rev. W. M. Reese, 1903
  • Rev. Scott I. Wallace, P, February 1904 - October 1905 (1 year +)
  • Rev. I. N. Wilkins, SS, 1906
  • Rev. Earl A. Miller, SS, March 1907 - January 1909 (2 years)
  • Rev. James L. McWilliams, January - March 1920
  • Rev. J. G. Galbreath, SS, then Pastor, February 1913 - March 1916 (3 years)
  • Rev. George W. Bell, P, September 1920 - October 1922 (2 years)
  • Rev. George L. Pake, P, April 1923 - May 1926 (3 years)
  • Rev. T. C. Kerr, P, October 1923 - 1929 (3 years)
  • Rev. William Price, SS, May 1931 - April 1934 (3 years)
  • Rev. George Masselink, September 1934 - April 1935 (1 year)
  • Rev. A. P. Donnelly, SS, May 1935 - May 1936 (1 year)
  • Rev. Harry Wickerson, SS, then Pastor, December 1936 - February 1939 (3 years)
  • Rev. Philip L. Williams, SS, September 1939 - May 1941 (1 year)
  • Rev. Glen Sylvia, SS, September 1941 - September 1942 (1 year)
  • Rev. Charles Mathew Brown, SS, March 1943 - June 1945 (2 years)
  • Rev. R. L. Offield, SS, June 1946 - May 1948 (2 years)
  • Herbert F. White, SS, December 1948 - May 1950 (2 years)
  • Rev. Thomas M. Patterson, SS, June - October 1950
 Years of Rapid Growth 1950-2005
In 1950 a Building Committee was appointed to draw up plans for remodeling the sanctuary. Plans included a kitchen, rest rooms, a recreation room and a assembly room. In spite of an unexpected collapse of an entire wall, weakened by excavation, the building was completed along lines it had when the congregation moved to its new location in 2001. 17 March 1951 The republican Herald reported that three men were almost trapped when the walls of the Waverly Presbyterian church crumbled into an excavation for the new addition to the church shortly before noon last Thursday. A cracked section on the right wall fell during a storm at 6 p.m. the same day. Next to the Church edifice there was a double building, really two buildings joined together. One Half was owned by Mr. And Mrs. D. Ray Gehres. When Mrs. Gehres died in 1958, it was disclosed that she willed her half of the building to the Presbyterian Church for educational purposes. The trustees then bought the other half and made it into the educational building which served the growing needs of the church. Two developments had a profound effect on the First Presbyterian Church, Waverly The first was the construction of the uranium enrichment plant just south of Piketon in 1952. This brought in many temporary construction workers and, more important to the church, administrative and engineering employees. Many of the latter were or became Presbyterian. They had families with children who came to the Sunday School, one time had over 40 children. Membership grew from 118 in 1953 to 451 in 1967. Up until the mid 1980s two services were held each Sunday. The other development was the establishment of Bristol Village Retirement Community in 1962. Waverly First Presbyterian was one of four sponsoring Presbyterian Churches (the others being Columbus North Broadway, Chillicothe First, Portsmouth Second). Under the leadership of the Reverend John Glenn then pastor of North Broadway Presbyterian Church, a government housing project constructed but never used by the Piketon Plant construction workers, was purchased and converted into a vibrant retirement community that celebrated its fortieth anniversary in 2002, as one of the foremost retirement facilities in the nation. Since its founding, many of the members of the Presbyterian Church have been among the five hundred and more residents of Bristol Village.. This holds true in 2005, while the Piketon plant continues to down size and adapt to changing conditions, while the Sunday School children of former years have grown up and moved away.

Cottie's Corner Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2007

******************************************************************************************

Howard United Methodist Church

References

  • "Presbyterian Church, Waverly, Ohio" by Charles Caldwell, typed by Claribel Fagan, updated but obviously in 1941 or 1942 while Rev. Glenn Sylvia was pastor. ("Caldwell")
  • "The First Presbyterian Church of Waverly, Ohio: Some Comments on its History". Prepared for the 125th anniversary of the Church September 16-17, 1967 by Andrew J. Townsend. ("Townsend"). Where there are discrepancies of dates between Caldwell and Townsend, this is indicated.
  • "A History of the Waverly First Presbyterian Church" Prepared for the 150th Anniversary of the Church, October 1992. Quoted extensively from Townsend's history, with introduction and summary by Clarence Anderson and edited by John E. Taphorn III, Clerk of Session. (Anderson - Taphorn)
  • First Presbyterian Church, Waverly, Roll of Pastors from 1883 to the Present.

********************************************************************************

Cline's Chapel

Waverly Watchman 8 August 1968 

The following names are taken from a small book of records of the Howard United Methodist Church on Camp Creek Road in the southern part of Pike County in Camp Creek Township. It is about one mile west of the present St. Rt. 104. The book is held by Mrs. Zelma(DUNHAM) WEETER, R.F.D. #5, Box 271, Lucasville, Ohio. Mrs. WEETER has attended this church since a child. The names are sometimes spelled as they sound, perhaps as a child would say them:
Samuel CHESTNUT, James BREWER, Mark LANDRUM, Mary LANDRUM, Sarah C. INGLISH,Mary COOPER, Frances DETRICK, Julia BARE, Dinah BOTHEL, Elizabeth BARE, Julia A. TAYLOR, George BODINE, Mary M. WESTFALL, Anna CUNNINGHAM, George EDRAMES, Margaret DRAKE, John MERRITT, Anna MERRITT, John MERRITT, Harrison MERRITT, Lavisa MERRITT, George MERITT, Frances HALL, Mary MERRITT, Sarah MERRITT, John D. MERRITT, Valmore MERRITT, M. LANDRUM, Sarah ENGLISH, Margaret WILLIAM, Louise WEETER, Julia TAYLOR, Isaac TAYLOR, Sarah TAYLOR, Sarah MILLER, Eliza J. MILLER, Isaac SPRINGER, Abraham BAER, Evaline BAER, George BAER, John BAER, Catherine BAER, James HALL, Jane HALL, Elisha HALL, James BOTHEL, Frank PATRIDGE, Frank LANCASTER, Robert SAVOY, Frances RUSSELL, P. CUNNINGHAM, A. E. CUNNINGHAM, Eliza WYNN, Addison MILLER, Milton MERRITT, Samuel HAYNES, Nancy HAYNES, John ROSE, Wm. SHELMAN, Wm. HANES, Samuel STRUT, Isaac STARR, Wm. WELLS, Isaac CLIPPINGER, Delila RUSSELL, Isabel HAYNES

 

February 18, 1868 - January 13, 1878
(Money for Preachers)
Effeyane MASHON, A. F. JENKINS, Malina WOLFORD, Abraham FLARE, Ellen BOTHEL, John W. SILCOTT, Jerrymiah DUNHAM, Clara WATKINS, G. MILLIRONS, D. BURNSHINE, Chas DUNHAM, Clara DUNHAM, Geo MILLIRONS, Mort. DUNHAM, William MILLIRONS, and D. BURNSHINE.

information from P.C.O.G .S. NewsletterJune 1977

Published 28 October 1976
*****************************************************************************************
Cotties Corner Church

Pike County, Ohio Church Histories

 

 Early Years 1842-1886
This period is marked by the upheaval of the Civil War, and the coming of the railroad to replace the canal as the major means of transportation. In 1862, when the county seat was moved from Piketon to Waverly much to the dismay of Piketon residents, the common Pleas Court hearings were held in the Waverly Presbyterian Church through 1865, for a rental of $117. According to some residents, school was also held in this church building for a time. In the 1840's the divisions between Old and New School Presbyterians had reached southern Ohio. Chillicothe Presbytery, being Old School was not happy with the activities of New School Second Presbyterian Church among Waverly Presbyterians, so voted in 1847 to have Waverly separated from the Piketon Church. Waverly was for a time identified as New School, which may account for the Presbytery action in 1852 rejecting the idea of allowing Waverly to exists as a separate church. By 1870, the Old School-New School division was over and the Waverly Church was again recognized as a part of the Piketon Church. Waverly Presbyterian Church, having separated itself from Piketon in 1871, was reunited in 1873, but the separation was final in 1881.During this period, three other Presbyterian churches were established in Pike County, but lived only a few years: Cynthiana 1846-1886, Omega 1878-1884, Buchanan which existed for a few years beginning in 1876 or 1887. The Piketon Presbyterian Church itself was dissolved in 1886, leaving Waverly as the sole survivor. Membership continued to be small. In 1876, for example, it stood at twenty eight. Elders elected on June 1, 1876 were Dr. John L. Caldwell and Prof. C. T. McCoy.In 1881, the Waverly Presbyterian Church was reorganized by the Rev. Henry W. Biggs, Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Chillicothe, with twenty four members, four elders (John L. Caldwell, Adam Gehres, S. M. Seibert and C.T. McCoy) and two deacons (William McKenzie and Robert Lowery). On February 26, 1884, the church was duly incorporated under the name of the First Presbyterian Church of Waverly, Ohio. Listed as incorporators were Adam Gehres, Eli Potts, C. B. Copple, William H. McKenzie and George Emmitt, (brother of James Emmitt who died in 1894). Gehres, Potts and Copple, as trustees of the old organization then deeded the property to the new corporation.About this time a new church building was erected in place of the original building which was built in 1842 and lasted for 41 years until 1883. By that time changes were necessary. According to one account, the old building was torn down to its foundation and a new one built. According to another account, it was remodeled with the addition of two small rooms with the belfry and bell. A slab on the church building reads "Rebuilt in 1883," which indicates that the new or remodeled structure was at least started in that year.

Pastors 1842-1886

  • Rev. Gamaliel Beeman, SS, Piketon only, 1832 - 1842 (10 years)
  • Rev. William Burton, SS, Waverly and Piketon, 1842 - 1844 (2 years)
    • P, June 1844 - June 1849 (5 years)
  • Rev. H. W. Taylor, TS, Waverly and Piketon, 1849 - 1850 (1 year)
  • P, June 1850 - April 1851 (2 years)
  • Rev. James Hueston, P, Waverly and Piketon, 1851 - 1853 (2 years)
  • Rev. Wm. P. Eastman, Waverly and Piketon, 1853 - 1866 (Caldwell) (13 years)
  • Rev. Arthur R. Naylor TS, September 1855 - April 1856 (Townsend) (1 year)
  • George T. Crissman TS, (Some months in 1861 - 1863)(Townsend) (2 years)
  • Rev. Irvin Carson SS, Waverly and Piketon, 1866 - 1867 (Caldwell) (1 year)
    • October 1869 - October 1870 (Townsend) 1 year
  • Rev. John O. Proctor S, March 1876 - April 1877 (1 year)
  • Rev. C. B. Gillette, SS, May 1877 - April 1878 (1 year)
  • Rev. R. N. Adams, P, April 1878 - March 1881 (3 years)
  • Rev. J. P. A. Dickey, Some month between April 1882 - June 1884 (2 years)
  • Rev. J. W. Wilson, July 1884 - October 1885 (1 year)

[Note: "P" = Pastor, "S" = State Supplied, "S" = Temporary Supplied]

In 1859, about 30 families met in the home of Edward Dixon located in Newton Township, Pike County to organize a church. Their written mission was as follows: "We the members of the Church of Christ, belonging to the Salt Creek Christian Conference living on Sunfish and surrounding country. We do agree to take the Holy Scriptures for our rule of faith and practice, and to be governed thereby in all things pertaining to life and Salvation." Two elders and one deacon were named at that time. The elders were Edward Dixon and Lewis Throckmorton. The deacon was Lewis Crabtree. Of the thirty households there, the surnames of Mossbarger, Hopper, O’Briant, Detty, and Throckmorton were prevalent.  Meetings continued in the home of Mr. Dixon for sometime, but by 1863, according to church records, the members were using one of the two schoolhouses located at Bethel for worship. Bethel had two schoolhouses located several yards from each other. The smaller one was used for grades one through four and the other for grades four through eight. The larger one had two floors with the ground floor being used as a school and the upper level used as a Redman Lodge Hall. By 1867, a meeting house had been built for church purposes and by 1879, it was referred to in church records as the Bethel Chapel. The chapel was surrounded by burying grounds where some people had already been buried. The oldest known grave was that of Stephen Dixon, the three month old son of Edward and Nancy, who died in 1854.That church soon became the main meeting place for the Salt Creek Christian Conference, first organized in 1818 in Jackson County. Major annual meetings and smaller quarterly meetings were held for business purposes, for religious discussions, for social activities and for a general revival of Christianity. Many churches from several counties in south central Ohio were represented at these conferences. Although the conference still exists today, it’s size and area are nearly diminished. Only annual meetings are held and last only for a half day session. In olden days, the conferences ran for four days and five nights. Food was prepared daily for all those in attendance for two meals a day by paid cooks. Meals were cooked and served in a small building called the cook house.  At some point, around 1904, the church building took on a new name. According to oral history, a lady named Belle Merritt decided that the church needed a bell. She told the congregation that she would buy the bell if they would name the church building after her. It happened and soon the church house became known as Belle Chapel. The term is still used today but on a limited basis. Oral history also has been passed down that when a horse drawn funeral hearse was on its way to the church/cemetery, the bell would be tolled during its approach. The cemetery owned by the church has, at least up to the present time, always offered gravesites at no charge. The church is assisted in care of the cemetery by an organization for that express purpose. It is a community group headed at the present time by Mr. Russell Mossbarger.  Early in its history, the church was plagued by flood waters from Sunfish Creek after times of heavy rain. These floods were doing serious damage to the building and causing a great deal of inconvenience. In 1938, the congregation decided to tear down the building and rebuild it on slightly higher ground. This was done at little cost to the church since the better materials in the original building were used to construct the new one. It was a little smaller than the original one but certainly was a needed improvement. The bell was, of course, moved into the new church where it still remains today.  During the late 1960’s an addition of two classrooms for Sunday School purposes was built on to the church. Then in 2000, a new vestibule, church office room and bathrooms were added. There had been no indoor plumbing until that time.  The church over the years has had many ministers. Two of its most remembered were Jake Jacobs and John Q. Lawill. Jake was known as the barefoot preacher because when weather permitted, he came to church barefooted. John Q. Lawill was known as the marrying preacher because he performed this service for so many of the couples in the area of Bethel.In later years, ministers included Harley Powell, Sherman Swogger, and Elmore Burkitt. At the present time, preaching duties are shared by three of the members of the church, Patrick Blankenship, David Burkitt, and Kenneth Burkitt. Sunday School Services are held every Sunday morning at 10:00 A.M. followed by a sermon. Sunday evening services are held on the first and third Sunday nights of each month at 6:00 P.M. Bible Study meetings are conducted on Wednesdays at 7:00 P.M.
Information current as of 7 July 2007

     An old frame house with wooden shingles at the corner of Second and East street was purchased for $900 under the leadership of the Rev. E. A. Keaton in 1927. It formerly was the home of Mrs. Harve "Stella" McCoy. The partitions were removed to make on large room.
    Before this the first meetings were in tent revival in the municipal park where the fire station is now. The Rev. Earl Ross and Roy Wolford conduced this meeting then being former member of God's Bible School in Cincinnati. This being so successful the new converts needed a place to meet so various places were used until this home was purchased.
     Membership grew until by 1929 enrolment of the Sunday School was 115. The new church was started in the spring of 1929 and on June 1930 the building was opened with the Rev. J. G. Laueck as Pastor.
The Rev. Given McKibben was the speaker for dedication on Sunday July 13, 1920 whose father was founder of the denomination and so the church was named in his honor.
     Rev. Earl Ross was pastor until the fall of 1930 followed by Rev. Roy Wolford until 1932. In the fall of 1932, Rev J. W. Sylvester served as Pastor of Waverly and also at Peebles at the same time. 1933 Paul Ferguson became the first full time pastor until 1941. May 1941 to January 1943 Orville Leonard was the pastor. Rev. John Dorsey served temporarily from January 1943 to August 1943 at a salary of $25 per week. Rev. Frank Sollars then followed until August 1945 to be replaced by Evangelist W. Ray Duncan.
    The first parsonage was purchased in 1947 from Sam Finley on West Third Street. When Rev. Duncan resigned in 1950, the Rev. Floyd Shoemaker became pastor. Then a new parsonage was built behind the church, In 1954, Don Pfeifer became Pastor until August 1960. Rev. Leonard Fitts served as Pastor until August 1964 when Robert Sayre took over and Rev. Fitts was elected Superintendent of the South Central District of this denomination. Rev. Sayer and family came from Springfield and stayed until July 1969.
The second addition to the church was started in March 1957 and by spring of 1960 the third building program was started and was finished before July
. Information from an article by Jim Henry 

The Waverly Ohio Church of the United Brethren in Christ Jesus was organized about 1856, the exact date unknown.  A lot at 107 East Third Street was purchased from James and Louisa Emmett in 1857 for the sum of $100.00.In 1858 a brick building, 28ft. x 40ft. was built and used for worship services by this faithful German congregation.  At about this time the vacant corner lot where the Waverly Police and fire station now stands became the Cemetery for the old church. Records show that a fence stood between the church and the cemetery (cemetery was started 16 Dec 1846). The bodies were moved in1882 and the monuments that were movable were taken probably at the same time to the Evergreen Cemetery.  Near the year 1900 the church changed from German to English.  In about 1904 the lot adjoining the original church was deeded to the church. This lot with the house that was on it became the home of those who pastured the church.  Our knowledge of more recent history begins when Rev. J. Harold Conkel (dec) came to pastor the Evangelical United Brethren Church from 1943 to 1953.In 1949 he led the congregation in building the present church structure on the same location as the old church. During the time of building, Mrs. Conkel held Sunday school class in the parsonage and Rev. Conkel held worship services in the park next door.  Later pastors were Rev. Elmer Stockman (dec), Rev. Charles Jenkins (dec) and Rev. Amos Sweet (dec).  With Rev. Sweet's leadership the church basement was finished, bathrooms were installed and the sanctuary was redecorated.  The pulpit furniture was donated by the Portsmouth First Church and the present pews are from the Meadow Run Church.  In 1961 the congregation of the Evangelical United Brethren Church leased to the Pike County Welfare Board Inc., the building located directly behind the church, Its known as the Welfare House and serves the needy of the county.  In 1961 construction of the parsonage was begun on the adjoining lot's with Rev. and Mrs. Sweet moving into it on July 1, 1962.In 1953 Rev. James Gore came to pastor for one year.  Rev. James Smith served the church from 1964 to 1979 during which time many changes and improvements were made to the church and parsonage.  In 1969 there were a merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren. Our new name became Calvary United Methodist Church.For one year 1979-1980 Rev. Major Montgomery was assigned here, followed Rev. Marland Penwell who remained with us for fourteen years. More recent pastors were Pastor Glenn Flannery, Rev. Dale McClurg (dec) , Rev. Frank Crofoot (dec), Rev. Walter Dawson. and our present pastor David Burriss.  In the fall of 2006 the appearance of the church has been upgraded with vinyl siding and repairs.  For 150 years this church has continued serving God and the community providing a place of Worship, Bible study, Prayer and Christian fellowship. 

Revised Nov. 2008
The Parishan published 1933

This church is no longer a Methodist Church

Church is now River Valley Community Church  12459 ST. Rt. 104 Waverly

photo by Tyrone Hemry 18 January 2016

Church as Canal Church of Christ

photo by Tyrone Hemry 14 Oct 2017

Waverly Saint Mary's Catholic new part of Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry June 2007 

************************************************************************************

Calvary United Methodist Church, Waverly, Ohio

From The Waverly Watchman, Thursday, April 14, 1949

****************************************************************************************

St. Mary Queen of the Missions

6 June 1935 The Republican Herald

Beginnings 1832-1842

This period begins with the establishment of Waverly with a population of 200 (Kalfs 1976, p21) in 1832, and ends with the incorporation of Waverly in January 1842, with a population of 306 (up from 200 in 1830; FNB History,21), the Waverly Presbyterian Church was established.

Following the Treaty of Greenville in 1795, which cleared the Shawnee Indians from the area, settlers had moved into what was to become Pike County which was formed in 1815 with a population of 4,153 from land taken from four existing counties (Beekman 2003, p1),. All Land west of the Scioto River was part of the Virginia Military District, set aside for Virginia's veterans of the Revolutionary War. By the Northwest Ordinance Congress had opened all land east of the Scioto for settlement (History of the Scioto Valley, P. 696).

When in 1829, the routes for the series of canals linking the Ohio River with Lake Erie to the north were being planned, a village to be called Uniontown was seen as an important port on the branch of canal system passing through Pike County. When residents seeking to establish a post office found that a post office of this name already existed in another Uniontown, the name was changed to Waverly at the suggestion of Capt. Francis Cleveland, resident engineer of the newly constructed canal, who was much interested in reading the Waverly Novels of Sir Walter Scott. The village of Waverly was established in 1832 and incorporated in January 1842. By 1860 the population had grown to 900 (Hoover p. ).

Waverly citizen and leading businessman James Emmitt, son of George Emmitt, came to Pike County in 1816 at the age of ten, and worked for ten years as a farm laborer, woodcutter ad teamster. He saw canal construction as an economic opportunity, first turning his home into a boarding house for canal engineers. When the Waverly section was completed in 1832, he purchased canal boats to carry grain, built a large grain mill and whiskey distillery, and raised hogs on the grain mash left from the distilling process. Only when cholera broke out in 1852 did he respond to public outcry over the bad odor by moving the hog farm further away (Beekman 203 p.5). James Emmitt died in 1894.

Following the first group of European immigrants to southern Ohio, among the traders, trappers, surveyors, and land developers, came families of Scottish, Irish and English descent from New England, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky. Among these were many with Presbyterian traditions. They were attracted by stable conditions created by the Northwest Ordinance, and the Virginia Military Tract which extended from the Scioto River west to the Little Miami River.

A second wave of migrants came from Germany in the 1830's to the 1860's. They were seeking refuge from political persecution, and brought with them United Brethren, Evangelical, Reformed, Lutheran and Roman Catholic traditions.

In 1821 settlers from the Calvinistic tradition formed the Chillicothe Presbytery, which covered an area of six counties including Adams, Brown, Fayette, Highland, Pike and Ross, plus the eastern parts of Clermont and Clinton counties. The first Presbyterian congregation in Pike County was established in Piketon in 1832, with the Reverend Gamaliel Beeman as stated supply pastor until 1838.

In 1841 the Reverend William Burton of the Piketon Presbyterian Church became interested in establishing a branch church in Waverly. As noted above, in the year 1842, the Waverly Presbyterian Church was established, with the Rev. Burton as stated supply pastor of both Piketon and Waverly churches. This action may have taken place at the meeting of the Chillicothe Presbytery at the Pisgah Church on April 5-6, 1842, when John Carolus, the first elder of the Waverly Church was listed as an elder commissioner. The first trustees were Carolus, John Howard and Robert Emmitt, brother of James Emmitt.

The property of In-Lot No. 110 on East North Street came into the possession of the church as follows. On July 4, 1842, John Carolus and his wife executed a deed for 5/6 of lots 109 and 110 to William Burton, Isaac Watts, Robert Emmitt and James Tomlinson. Emmitt then deeded his 1/6 interest to Thomas Davis. On August 23, 1843, Burton, Carolus, Howard, Watts, Davis and Tomlinson executed a general warrant deed to John Carolus, Isaac Watts, and James Tomlinson, Trustees of the First Presbyterian Society of Waverly, Pike County, Ohio for the property on which the original building and, remodeled in 1883, still stands.

Cottie’s Corner Church situated on State Route 772 in rural Pike County, Ohio is a non-denominational church. It was organized by a group of Christians who loved freedom of worship and had a desire to lead others to Christ. They had no intention of being bound to an organization or authority, their concern being for the local congregation and its service to the immediate community. This plan of worship and service still rules in the church body. The members have seen their donations at work to help those who are down and out and to promote the work of the Lord by inspiring those who are sinners to seek God’s Holy Spirit. This church was built in 1906 by the members assisted by a few local interested people. The timber for the church was sawn by Joe McAllister and he along with Fred Dunn and Cottie John Smith were instrumental in building a structure which stands today as a monument to the faith of these followers of Christ. The name of Cottie’s Corner came about quite by accident. Henry Griffith happened by while the building was under construction and asked the men what thy were going to call the new church. Someone said it was to be called Cottie’s Corner because it was on the corner of a lane leading to the home of Cottie John Smith. The remark was made in jest but the name stuck. The little church has been an inspiration to many folks in the Smith Hill area and its influence has spread over a great portion of southern Ohio as young people have gone out from its jurisdiction and settled elsewhere taking the discipline and teachings learned in attendance. A few of the people faithful in their attendance through the years were: David Brockney, Wes Mustard, Bro. Pummell, Arthur Dunn, Fred Dunn, Jimmy Williams, Cottie John Smith and Ogra Creech. Most of these persons quite capable of leading services in the church, spoke plainly about the guidance of God’s Holy Spirit and were able to interpret the scriptures in a way that was understandable and clear. Ogra Creech was a good example of how the little church was to be instrumental in instilling to each individual the necessity of the indwelling of the Holly Spirit in his life. Through this type preaching many lives were changed as was the life of Bro. Creech who saw his own unsaved condition and later became a very successful minister of the gospel. He established many non-denominational churches in the area of southern Ohio. In Rev. Creech’s book "A Drink from the Well at Bethlehem’s Gate" he states: "The things that I heard when I came to Smith Hill stirred my heart and paved the way for my reclamation. Their doctrine was Quaker like and simple. They ruled man out and gave all the glory to God. Who can honestly argue with such a simple way to live for Him? They did not believe in telling a seeker at the altar that he was alright, or seizing his hands and lifting him up. It is holy ground and let the Holy Ghost do the lifting." So this is the secret of the successful operation of Cottie’s Corner Church .The women also played an important part as was evident in the religious upbringing of the children. They took an important part in the services along with the men folks. Avonelle Teeters, May Duke, Crilla Burkittt, Mary Jordan and Shirley Williams were known for their singing ability and were in demand to appear at revivals throughout the area with their "sermons in song". Their renditions were sure to bring tears of joy to the Christian or tears of remorse to the sinner as they spread God’s Holy Word in song. Another group of singers who owe their foundation to Cottie’s Corner Church was the "Eden Gospel Fire" from Sabina, Ohio. The group was composed of the following: Cleo Teeters, Ezra Teeters, Olaf Dunn, Helene Dunn, Leo Dunn and Helen Dunn. A building project was completed in 1973 made necessary by an increase in attendance. More people are searching for the peace and hope gained by living and meeting God’s conditions. Later a plot was set aside for a cemetery due to the desire of several of t he congregation to be laid to rest near the church. The plot has been used many times. The pastor in 2007 was Danny Campbell. Sunday morning services include Sunday School at 9:30 and worship services at 10:15 . Tuesday night prayer meeting begins at 7:30 P.M. and Saturday night church begins at 7:30 P.M. 

​December 2017 the church was without a pastor.
This church (M. E. Church) was located on Salem Cave Road between Beaver and Stockdale, Ohio, just off route 335.I think it was started about 1850. According to my grandmother a twister picked it up and carried it away leaving nothing but the organ and the foundation stones. This happened in the mid to late 1940's.
 Photo and story curtsey of Billy Sykes

122 East North Street, Presbyterian Church Now Canal Church of Christ as of 2004

Story by Jim Henry The Pike County News Watchman May 9, 2012

photo's by Tyrone Hemry March 2007 

******************************************************************************************

Waverly Lutheran Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry 2 Sptember 2014

DEDICATION OF THE ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH

It will be seen by the announcement printed elsewhere in this paper, that the Catholic Church, in this place, will be dedicated on Monday, April 8th, by the Right Rev. Arch Bishop Purcell, of Cincinnati, one of the most talented Ministers in the United States. We advise all our reader that can, to attend, as this may be the only opportunity you will ever have of witnessing the interesting ceremonies connected with the dedication of a Catholic Church, and of hearing this eloquent gentleman.--In the evening the Arch Bishop will deliver a Lecture, after which a choir of singers, from Chillicothe, under the direction of Prof. St. Berkley, assisted by Prof. Hoffman, will entertain the audience with choice vocal and instrumental music.
A general invitation is extended to all to be present. For further paruculars [particulars] see advertisement.  5 Apr 1867 Waverly Democrat

Cottie's Corner Cemetery

photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2007 

********************************************

Methodist Episcopal Church at Latham

******************************************************************************************

Waverly Church of the Nazarene

THE EDEN BAPTIST CHURCH

   "Thirteen African American families settled in Pebble Township of Pike County, Ohio in the early 1820's. The settlers, former slaves and freemen, were a multi-talented group of people. They used these talents to build a community. In addition to talents, they brought a good measure of wealth with them. They built a school, meeting hall and organized a church. The church met for several years in the homes of the settlers, but in 1824 a log structure was built on land donated by one of the settlers, Minor Muntz.
    The church became the center of activity in the settlement. Through the church, families associated with persons in other nearby settlements. They attended a convention in Brown County in 1847, and to a Baptist Association of churches in 1848. Attendees to the convention were from churches in Columbus, Xenia, Cincinnati, and Chillicothe. These religious gatherings allowed an exchange of ideas, as well as spiritual guidance. The returning delegates to the Pee Pee Settlement (as it was called) brought news from other places. Several of the members, as a result, became active in the Underground Railroad.
    Members of the settlement were harassed and some of the homes were burned, the church, however, continued to prosper.
    The church membership grew after the Civil War because of the migration north of scores of African American families to Southern Ohio. The church continued to be the center of activity. Festivals, picnics, holiday dramas, concerts homecomings services, and basket dinners, were enjoyed at the church in addition to the worship services held every Sunday morning. Worshippers came from every direction summoned by the ringing of the bell.
    Great orators brought the "Word" to the Sunday services. During weekday evening, however, classes were taught to help educate the unlearned.
The church still stands today and continues to provide spiritual guidance to its congregation. Recently a historical maker was placed at the church to commemorate the PP settlement and the Eden Baptist Church for their efforts during the Underground Railroad movement."

Jim Henry in his December 12, 2017 story quotes the following excerpts from a July 1958 Waverly News story about Clines Chapel Centennial.

“Our Centennial Celebration on Sunday, June 29, was marked with reverence and admiration for our forefathers: Abraham Cline, John Cline, Andrew Finney, Solomon Turner, William Naggy and Issac Bandy. They were the trustees granted a deed a 100 years ago by Allen and Marie Chatham June 29, 1858 to the Methodist Church of Pebble Township of Pike County.

Following Sunday School and the worship service in charge of our regular minister, Rev. Phyllis LeMaster, a basket dinner was served in the community hall adjoining the sanctuary, which most of us know as Cline’s Chapel. The all-day celebration was a time for renewing acquaintances and talking over old times.”

Jim adds I will note that this is the first church I attended in Pike County. Many families I knew including the Osborns, Clines, Moats, Markhams, Browns, Dykes, Newtons, John Buchanan and the Hustons. 

I believe Rev. Richard Hays retired this year. (2017)

Waverly Catholic Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry June 25 2007 

******************************************************************************************

Dailyville Free Will Baptist Church
4 March 1954 The Waverly Watchman

Church was dedicated 7 March 1954 Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

photo by Tyrone Hemry 2 September 2014

Former Kibben Memorial Church and now is a Church of God 

photo by Tyrone Hemry 12 July 2007

*************************************************************************************

First Baptist Church of Waverly
St. Mary Queen of the Missions

Information from the History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio, published in 1884

"Catholic church--the first organization of a Catholic Society in Waverly took place in 1863-64 and in the following year, they began the construction of their fine large brick church on Walnut Street, now converted into an opera house. The building, which was the fines church edifice in Waverly, is 80 x 40 feet in size, very high, and is mounted with an imposing tower and spire. It was never completely paid for and fell into the hands of James Emmitt, who in 1875 had it converted into an opera house, called Emmitt's Opera House. The society rallied from this failure and began another church on East Market Street in 1878, completing it in the following year. It is a fine brick structure, but not so costly as the former, and is fully paid for by the congregation. The building of both churches was superintended by Joseph Myers, one of the congregation. The first pastor was Rev. Feldhaus, followed by Rev. Jerry Murray and he was succeeded in 1883 by Rev. Father Windthorst. It is connected with the church at Chillicothe where the pastor resides.

The following information excerpted from the Bulletin of The Catholic Record Society, Diocese of Columbus Volume XII, November 5, 1987.

Michael Flanigan is given credit for approaching James Emmitt in search of a building site for the proposed church in 1878. He had moved from Pennsylvania in 1876 and with his wife and eight children, settled in Pee Pee Township outside of Waverly. Because he was a newcomer, he had not lived through the heartbreaks of the first building.
It is duly recorded in the Pike County Recorder's office that on September 3, 1878 James Emmitt and wife, Louisa, sold to Archbishop Purcell a 50 by 177 foot lot on the east side of What was then a projected extension of South Market Street. The price was $500.00.
The new red brick St. Mary's church measured twenty-seven by fifty feet and seated about 100. There was a small room in the rear where the priest performed baptisms and sometime stayed overnight. Until the 1930's, the church was heated by a large, potbellied stove in the center aisle, with a tin stack going our a side window. The building was completed in July of 1880 at a cost of $2300, and was fully paid for by the congregation by 1884.
In addition to the smaller size of the new church: the economy had improved, and the St. Xavier Mission Church was destroyed by a fire, apparently about the same time; so that those who had formerly attended that mission would now increase the size of the Waverly congregation.
Sometime in the early 1900's, the beautiful stained glass window that are a part of St. Mary's heritage were installed. The date is unknown, but it would be safe to assume that this was accomplished probably between 1907 and 1908. One of the windows was a gift to the parish from the Rev. John Francis Cogan who served St. Mary's on a monthly basis from Greenfield, Ohio. Following Father Cogan, and also from Greenfield, was Rev. John M. Sailor from 1906-08. Inscriptions reads: "In Memory of My Mother, Gift of Rev. John M. Sailor." The other windows were donated by the following:
In Memory of William and Catherine Corcoran Gift of Ladies Altar Society
In Memory of Thomas Griffin, Gift of Mrs. Jane Griffin
Gift of C. D. Heibel & Family
In Memory of Jeremiah Donovan, Gift of Joanna Donovan
In Memory of James McGowan, Gift of Mrs. Ellen McGowan
In Memory of John & Clyde Powell, Gift of Mrs. Kate Powell
In memory of Adam & Anna Heibel
A blank with no name

During this period, the family names of parishioners that are recalled are Patterson, Logan, Griffin, Taylor, Hoffman, Kent, Streitenberger, Boyer, Donovan, Starkey, Mader, Ridgeway, McGowan, Provost, Gorman, Shane, Heibel, and Edelman.
In 1952, under the direction of Rev. Rogers of St. Mary's parish in Chillicothe and the Bishop of Columbus, a house next to the church was purchased from Arthur and Roxie Blaum for $21,00. The parish now had a rectory, and the Rev. Louis E. Hoffman was assigned by the diocese as the first permanent priest and resident to the burgeoning parish.
As speed was important, plans were drawn for a steel fabricated building to be erected just west of the other church, contracts were signed for $40,000, and work progressed rapidly with the exterior shell. The interior work was performed by volunteers of the parish. Pews were obtained from a parish at Washington Courthouse and installed.
On October 18, 1953, Bishop Michael J. Ready of Columbus dedicated the new facility and named the parish, St. Mary Queen of the Missions. Three Masses were necessary on Sundays to accommodate the parishioners.
Father Leo A. Sullivan headed the parish form 1960 to 1965. During his assignment, remodeling of the old church into a parish meeting hall was completed.
Rev. Raymond Larussa was assigned to the parish in 1982, and, under his direction, the modernization and beautification of the church was accomplished. Beginning in 1983 and continuing to 1985, a new ceiling, insulation, and light fixtures was installed. Side walls were insulated and covered with decorative board; steel beams were wrapped in laminated board; a cry room was constructed; a new confessional was built; a new altar was installed; new carpeting was laid; painting and decoration was accomplished; and the stained-glass windows in the social hall (the old church) were protected by panels of clear Plexiglas.
Father William Metzger was assigned a pastor to the parish in the summer of 1985. In 1988, extensive restoration to the parish hall was started, The ceiling was restored to its original height; an oak floor was laid; window trim was reconstructed; and walls refinished.

 photo by Tyrone Hemry March 2007

*******************************************

Meadow Run United Brethren Church

junction of Meadow Run and River Road
 Years of Modest Growth 1886-1950
In 1916, some younger men of the Church bought a log house across for the Church and made it into a recreational room. About that time the Sunday School took on a new life. Shortly after that, at the prompting of the Presbytery, the long house was sold and a house bought on East Second Street which became the Manse. However the Manse was later sold because it was considered too large. The proceeds were invested for a time. In 1950 three members of the prominent Gehres family gave the church a seven room modern home which became the Manse. This released the money from the sale of the original manse to be added to the building fund which had been started by the efforts of the women of the Church. Membership grew from 28 in 1876 to 80 in this period. Much of the time the ministers who served the church were stated supplies not full time pastors. Records show that from 1891 to 1914 the salaries paid by the local church ranged from $400 to $600 a year, one exception being $712.50. For part of this period, salary supplements were paid by the Home Mission Board. The following reminiscences are from, 90 year old church member Claribel Fagan, 315 East North St., Waverly, as told to John Hamlin in August 2002."My mother told me that I first attended the Presbyterian Church with her in 1914 at the age of two, when Rev. Galbreath was Pastor, and I have been going ever since, that is, until I developed macular degeneration in about 1995. I have been a deacon and a Sunday School teacher. I remember how Rev. [William} Price shed tears when a Session voted not to allow a Negro to attend our church services. I remember what seemed a grand ceremony when Rev. [George] Masselink was ordained in our church. Most of our pastors lived in what is now a barber shop next to the Jail on Second Street."

Howard United Methodist Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry May 2007

Christian Union Church at the corner of Fifth and Bridge Street, Waverly was organized around 1900 

     The new M. E. Church at Latham, Pike county, O., in the bounds of Idaho circuit, was dedicated Sunday, Feb., 20, 1876. Rev. S. M. Bright, Presiding Elder of Portsmouth district, Ohio Conference, preached the dedicatory sermon, from Psalms, 137, 5-6. The size of the building is 26x40, valued at $1200, and was presented by the trustees as a donation from Wm. A. Cartwright.
     The following preamble and resolutions were adopted by the Quarterly Conference of Idaho circuit on Saturday, Feb. 19th 1876, and a copy ordered to be transmitted to Father Cartwright.
Whereas, Wm. A. Cartwright has presented to the M. E. Church a new church edifice at a cost to him of about $1200; therefore, Resolved, By the Quarterly Conference of Idaho Circuit, that we tender to Father Cartwright our thanks for his liberal gift, and pray the divine blessing to comfort and sustain him now under the weight of more than four score years.
This resolution was also presented to large congregation on the day of dedication and unanimously concurred in by a rising vote.
     P. Henry, Pastor of Idaho circuit, is now engaged in a revival meeting at Wiseman's appointment, where he has received about forty accessions to the church. He expects to return to Latham in four weeks from Sabbath, 20th inst., and endeavor to effect an organization at that place by a protracted meeting.  Feb. 1876 Waverly Watchman

photo by Tyrone Hemry 19 April 2008

******************************************************************************************
Waverly Presbyterian Church

This picture taken 28 May 1978 and was being used as Grace Baptist Church.

The church was torn down early November 2007.

The Church was dedicated about July 1901. This replaced the former church building that had burned down. information from 4 July 1901 Waverly News

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

*****************************************************************************************

Kibben Memorial Church of Christ In Christian Union 

The church in Green Acres is now Victory Chapel

Picture by Tyrone Hemry 31 January 2008

Pastors 1950 - Present

  • Rev. Eli Mowry, SS, January 1951 - September 1957 (6 years)
  • Rev. Glenn Carlson, P, October 1957 - February 1961 (4 years)
  • Ralph Lewis Lay Preacher, April 1961 - July 1961 (3 months)
  • Rev. Roger Kelsey, P, October 1961 - April 1968 (7 years)
  • Rev. Jack Lewis Pursell, P, January 1, 1969 - June 30, 1986 (18 years)
  • Rev. Richard Secrest Hays, P, October 4, 1987 (Current)
  • Rev. E. John Hamlin Parish Associate, September 28, 1997 (Current)

7 Aug 1901 The Courier Watchman

****************************************

THE BETHEL CHRISTIAN CHURCH

Sunfish Creek Road, Piketon , Ohio 

Now known as Family Life Fellowship, 306 Bridge St Waverly, OH

Evangelical United Brethren Church built 1858 and rebuilt in 1949 on Third Street.  Now know as Calvary United Methodist Church

Former Dailyville Garage Hall location

NEW CHURCH TO BE DEDICATED SUNDAY
Public Invited To Attend
Special Services At 3:00 P.M.


     Waverly's newest church, which will be known as the "Waverly Lutheran Church" located in the southwest end of town on Route 104, will be dedicated Sunday afternoon, August 1, at 3 p.m.
     Speakers for the special services will be the Rev. W. Pohl of Zanesville and Dr. W. C. Birkner, Secretary of Missions for the Central District of Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. Dr. Birkner resides in Fort Wayne, Ind.
     The new modern church (pictured in The Waverly Watchman and the Waverly News previously), measures 65 by 32 feet on the exterior and was designed by Mr. John Eberhard of Creative Buildings, Urbana, Illinois. The basic design is equilateral triangle, symbolic of the Holy Trinity.
     Interior of the building is light green ceiling panels, bordered by dark brown beams which are featured on both interior and exterior of the building.
Side interior panels are varnished mahogany, and the building will seat approximately 150 to 170 people.
     Plans have been under way since last October to locate and erect this building in Waverly, and in April of this year two acres of ground were purchased from Mr. Carl McCain on Route 104. approximately .3 mile south of the D. T. & I. railroad overpass, where the chapel is now situated.
     Rev. Donald W. Buckner of 295 Church street, Chillicothe will be pastor of the church in addition to his congregation in Chillicothe and Portsmouth.
    Wayne Preston of Huntington, W. Va. was the contractor.
    Summers & Son Company of Chillicothe are furnishing the Hammond Organ for the Dedication services.
    Residents of the area are cordially invited to attend the dedication and other services.

29 July 1954 The Waverly Watchman